Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Too hot to handle

I just wanted to issue a please refrain from fishing the Yough trout statement until we get some cooler water temps. As of right now, I'm putting my trout trips on hold until things cool down a bit. We really have a nice bunch of residents in the river right now, but it won't take a whole lot of fishing them with these warm temps to put a solid dent the population.

The forecast looks good with regard to air temps starting tomorrow, so perhaps the water temps will provide for some trouting below the Cassellman by the weekend. And with any luck we'll get some cold rain to accompany the predicted overnight lows. Keep your fingers crossed and chase some bass until things shape up for noidal pursuits.

Thanks and have fun out there.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 20:56

Re: Too hot to handle

From Greensburg, PA
I fished below the dam (between the bridges) yesterday morning and the temp was 66. Later I moved down below the Casselman and it was 70. I took those temps probable only a half hour apart so I would imagine it warms a bit more the further downstream you go.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 21:13

From Pgh
This happens every year and there's no excuse for it!! The reservoir basically runs out of cold water! Obviously This bottom release dam is not being managed with the trout fishery as a top priority.

Right now, the priority:
1) Flood control (rightly so)
2) Rafting
3) Cold water fishery

Why does rafting take priority over the fishery. Money of course. So the USACE boosts flows every summer weekend... but do rafters really need 900 to 1000 cfs to enjoy their sport?

USACE should be able to split the difference -- optimizing the flows to extend the reservoir "cold water empty" date til the end of September -- instead of around Labor Day -- while still releasing enough water for an enjoyable rafting experience.

I remember 7 or 8 years ago, we had a warm fall. I actuially saw a group of fish at the mouth of Ramcat!! There's got to be a better way.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 14:14

From Jefferson Hills, Pa
I agree with you greenghost. I had written a letter to John Hallas, the Ohiopyle Park Manager, back in December when the park was asking for public input as to letting kayaks run "Over the Falls" more then just once a year. I felt it was a polite letter from a fishermans point of view. I felt that if the USACE would run water off to maintain 2.25 feet at the Ramcat gage that it would be a happy median for both fishing and boating.
Their decision about running the falls, I think, came down in late July or early August. They decided to keep things "as is". I can understand why. All the safety and legal concerns, plus all the more people they would have to hire as lifeguards. It just wouldn't be worth the legal risks.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 18:23

It is always wise to question your sanity when fishing the yough- especially away from the dam.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 22:28

Now see, I would have said that you have to question your sanity if you find yourself fishing anywhere other than the Yough, with the exception of right below the dam.

It is a rugged river though--definitely not for everybody. I have to admit I found myself wading a piece of the river earlier this season and telling myself I needed to have my head examined for doing this on a regular basis.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 7:04

Greenghost

Is anything being done to discuss this situation? Talks with PFBC or ACOE?

Seems like a big waste of a resource. Lake is BIG one and seems to have enough water stored in there.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 12:37

I just recently read, though not in all its minute detail as it is a rather large document, the water management plan for the reservoir last week. I believe the current plant was presented and reviewed in 2004 and the short take from the powers that be was that a period of near 70 or 70 degree temps would have "minimal impact" on the fishery.

If you google youghiogheny river water management plan you can find it.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 12:50

From Greensburg, PA
I've seen PFBC officers refuse to stock 70 degree water in October. Who came up with that plan?

Posted on: 2009/9/23 10:36

From Pgh
Lehigh,

Right now, no. As YRG mentioned, this issue had it's moment in the spotlight 5 or so years ago. The plan was again tailored toward the rafting industry. Perhaps a "pull" strategy through ther PFBC might work better. I think it's worth looking into. I'll send out a few E-mails and see how one may start to go about moving a bureaucratic mountain.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 12:02

Greenghost and YRG.

First, I would start with the PFBC and your local Commissioner. Form a working partnership with them. Provide information that shows the interest level and importance of improving the trout fishery. Don't take "NO" for an answer. The PFBC can be difficult to deal with and "pursuade".

You will also have to engage the Corps as well. Also understand you will never eliminate whitewater releases, but there is a need for a middle ground.

I'm not real familiar with the Yough situation, but its not all that different to the Lehigh. We started an organization that's goal is to obtain coldwater releases from the Reservoir all summer long. We have come a long way but still have a ways to go. Support is imperative. Politics and economics will be part of the game too.

IMO - the Yough is an extremely important resource to SW PA, esp in an area that is somewhat starved for coldwater resources.

Realize changes won't come over night. It will take some staying power and persistence. If anglers don't speak up, these are the things that can happen. Unfortunately, grassroots organizations need to be that voice.

If you need ideas, contact info, don't hesitate to PM me or email me.

good luck.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 13:23

Lehigh,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am definitely going to get the ball rolling over the winter. You are certainly correct when you say that the Yough is a special resource for this part of the state. The nice thing is that more and more people are realizing this and I'm certain that there are many businesses, groups, and individuals that are willing to lend their voice to this issue.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 15:47

From Monessen, PA
First thing to note is that Tom Shetterly, an active member of the Chestnut Ridge TU that is deeply involved with the Yough is on the Commission and would be an excellent contact.

Second, as much as I fish the Yough and would love to see improvements that benefit fishing interests, I really believe that complaints about a couple week period of water temps in the low seventies (if that high) seem to be a bit of "we want it all and we want it now." By and large, in my opinion, the Army Corps manages to balance appropriately the needs of flood-control (primary), rafting industry (likely way more important from a tourism standpoint than fishing) and fishing itself.

Just one man's opinion.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 9:20

Jack,

The other "guy" from the "guys at LHGS" just met and spoke with Tom recently. We also organized a float stocking to stock Chestnut Ridge TU's trout in the river this summer. So we are just beginning to establish a working relationship with them. Also, Len Lichvar has been a client of ours as well.

As for the short period of warm temps, I am in agreement with you. I can live with it so long as the proper steps are taken. I do think that the state should restrict the fishery to mornings only during this time to avoid too many dead fish.

The real issue with the fishery, if it is truly going to be an economic windfall for south west PA, is that it needs to be managed under different regs. As much as I'd like to see a better flow management plan and more gradual tapers when releasing or turning flows down, the issue of too many fish being taken from the limited population that exists seems, to me, to be the main one.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 11:28

Instead of just lying over an accepting the current situation, maybe ask a few questions. One might be enlightened to what one might find.

Why is fishing not more popular on the Yough? Being so close to a large city, it makes me wonder.

Does the "2 week period" of high temps need to occur? Can it be avoided altogether with a little better management, foresight or planning differently? How much does it impact the fishery?

How many WW releases are there? Is it "every weekend" as was stated above? If so, that is not a balance. Most anglers are weekend warriors and if that is the case, no wonder the fishery isnt' "popular" or used more.

If the water was managed as a coldwater fishery, is the fishery capable of growing high populations of large trout? Has the PFBC tried to survey the river's trout populations?

How much does the WW industry generate to local economy?

What would an 8 month tailwater trout fishery generate if managed differently?

IMO - if the reservoir that size is running out of coldwater, there isn't a balance. Plain and simple.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 11:29

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com