Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

The river "Y"

Summer flows bring summer fishing, and summer fishing on the Yough is always sweet. Floated the river yesterday (July 8, 2.1 at Confluence, roughly 800 cfs); purely re con for the weekend's guiding; actually got to fish the river (which is always nice); fishing was really good.

A nice caddis hatch had fish chasing emergers on the top part of the float, and swing and lift presentations were, as they liked to say in the old days, a killing technique. We played around with some streamer combos to see if they felt like chasing and chase they did, once we got the right color combo dialed in—many fish fell to the streamer, including a nice 18 inch brown that came unbuttoned at the boat: they do that sometimes when you skip them across the surface like a pro bass angler with a largemouth.

We didn't snap too many pics, it was just one of those days where the rods were bent too often to mess with the camera, but I'll post a pic of the best fish of the day—an 18 inch resident brown taken from a pillow above a rock on a dry/dropper rig.

Evening brought shaded pools and fish rising to olives and Iso's, and for the wading angler, this is some of the best fishing of the year.

Get out there and get 'em while they're hot.

LHGS

Attach file:

jpg  2006_0129laceybeach0132.JPG (143.82 KB)
874_4a55fa59143ab.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  2006_0129laceybeach0137.JPG (205.78 KB)
874_4a55fa6e1f87a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/7/9 10:11

Re: The river "Y"

From Harrisburg, PA
That fish looks like a real pig! How big did that one measure out to?

Posted on: 2009/7/10 14:33

It was right around 18"; not quite twenty. Eyeballs only though. She was very girthy though, as most of the resident fish we've been getting this season have been. They've certainly been eating well.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 17:41

Have you had any luck this week??? Seems like the water temps have gone up and the action hasn't been as good the past 7 days. The day you hooked into a bunch of fish I did the same but it seems to have died down a bit. I fish up from Ohiopyle most of the time so I haven't been up near Ramcat in awhile.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 21:21

weenie- I fing the yough very frustrating.

I swore it off about 2-3 years ago- however; my last 2 outings there were pretty great until my last outing let me down again.

Not sure but the flows have to effect the fish and bug activitiy. I found the low water last week made for really good conditions but when the water went up a bit for the weekend- no risers at least before dark.

Took a look at your blog- a picture #4 for July 6th - I noticed someone has the same Orvis reel as me- first time I have seen another angler with that reel. That dude it the picture seems to really love Orvis- hehe.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 10:17

Acristickid,
That dude in the picture is my roomate, he runs the Fly-Fishing Program at Nemacolin and has the Orvis Endorsement, hence all the gear. I have fished the river a lot the last 3 years because I live so close to it. Never have any consistancey but once a month I have a day that reminds me of fishing out west and keeps me coming back. Plus nobody is ever fishing between Ohiopyle and Ramcat where I usually fish and the solitude is nice. I usually fish it from 6-dark because of work and usually manage 1-3 fish but rarely do I get to 10, only on a couple of occasions. I nymph fish it a lot, never been a great streamer guy, though I hear that is what most guys use, mostly when they float it. I caught that big one on the top of my blog with a size #14 nymph 1 hour before dark way back on the bike trail and have been nymphing ever since. I cannot explain why one day they will hammer a certain fly then the next day it seems like the river has no fish in it.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 21:08

Sorry I didn't answer the question--I've been away from the computer for a few days.

Check out the new report: I mention water temps in it.

If you're fishing down towards town you are certainly better off fishing early or late, if for nothing else than to avoid overly stressing the fish you do catch.

Our program right now is to watch the temps on the way down river and to switch to bass only type stuff when it gets up towards 68.

As for consistency, we've been getting a bunch of fish, but you really have to be willing to do what the river tells you. The flows do affect the fishing, but very rarely do they shut it down. The only flow change that I don't like to fish is a drop. For me, that is the only time flows make a difference.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com