Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Small Steam Brookie's

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Looks like the brookies made it through the summer..water temps are in the 40's now and we received some rain..They have spawned and are looking to fatten up...Caddis, stoneflys, and Blue Quills were hatching...Plus saw a light (yellow ?) spinner size 14...Midges too...Lots of small fish so they survived...

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN6285.JPG (0.00 KB)
112_473a47d178d22.jpg X px

jpg  DSCN6284.JPG (0.00 KB)
112_473a47efbe9cc.jpg X px

Posted on: 2007/11/13 19:57

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Re: Small Steam Brookie's

From Lewistown
I agree that osme of the big ones survived, but I have noticed that on the 6 or so streams I have fished in the past 2 weeks are mostly populated by the 3 inchers. Does that mean all of the average fish (6-7") are gone? Seems like every trip I do catch a couple in the 8-9" range. I guess this is a good thing, becasue I like to see the best genetics passed on, and after the doubts last summer a 9" fish has to have superior genes to make it through.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 7:54

From Dallastown, PA
The fingerling trout (3-4" ers) are first to the take and usually spook the bigger fish. They are also usually in the poorer lies. (tail outs, shallow flats, etc.) Try targeting the best lie in the hole with the first cast to get a shot at the best fish. If you fish small streams from the back of the pool to the front, you will be less likely to land any big fish.

Every good hole in a small stream has a pool boss, the rest are sentrys that tip off the bully.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 20:07

From Bozeman
Mo, that nugget might be better served in it's own thread in the tips and tricks section. It's a good one, and a bit of knowledge that I often forget about on the stream. I see that first fish and can't resist a shot at the little guy. I know I'm missing shots at the bigger guys, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. I'm going to make it a point to target larger fish next season, and this is one of the methods I'll use.

That, and finally getting some faith in streamers.

Posted on: 2007/11/16 0:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com