Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Penns and Salmon River

On 9/15 I was lucky enough to fish with Bruce Fisher on Penn's for the afternoon and evening. When the sun hit the water Slate Drake's were coming off. Other than that there were some craneflies flying around.

The water was fairly low, but the temps were fine. The slow holes were filled with smallies, and the riffles held most of the trout.

Bruce stuck with a Slate Drake Dry most of the time while I fished a big, white articulated streamer. Lots of bass were landed with 6 trout mixed in. The nicest brown was a solid 20".

The Salmon River in NY has been fishing good for this time of year and current conditions. The water is very low, but the temps in the evening are around 66°F. Monday evening and Last evening I fished for about an hour and a half with good sucess. The active fish are in the pockets where snaggers pass by. #10 glo bugs fished under an indicator are taking all of the fish.

Tight Lines
Michael Foreman

Posted on: 2007/9/19 11:47

Re: Penns and Salmon River

From Room 109
Fisherboy:

Do you know of any sites I can hit to read some post about the salmon river. I am headed up in 10 days or so and want to get some beta if possible

Posted on: 2007/9/22 21:44

From Bozeman
salmoncrazy.com

Posted on: 2007/9/22 22:08

From West Chester, PA
Fisher, just curious, do you think the salmon are actively eating the glo bugs? Or are they just being drifted into their mouths open and shut mouths?

Posted on: 2007/10/17 12:38

From Bozeman
TDB,

I was just there and can vouch that they can be very aggressive. Just watch them attack each other. They aren't eating, but they will often slash at, and occasionally hammer a brightly colored fly. I will admit that a few times it may have drifted into their mouths, based on the feel of the strike... But quite a few fish were landed after they exploded on a traditional wet fly swing.

As a matter of fact, the biggest fish I caught was in slow water in the estuary. I was actively fishing my flies... short strips were killer. You could watch them chase it.

Posted on: 2007/10/17 12:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com