Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Olives in the dampening mist

While the water temps in the river remain on the high side for our trouty friends, cooler water can be found downstream of the dam throughout the morning and longer on dark days--now that we're getting a few.

Bug life remains the same though one of the Yough's oddities in terms of emergences can now be seen--if you're lucky--on the river between Confluence and Connelsville. Golden stones (size 6) will hatch sporadically for the next few weeks. I know, I know, I'm crazy, right? I've never seen them hatch heavily, but they are abundant enough to have the fish on the lookout so a big imitative dry is a fine alternative for a bobber this time of year. For those of you who doubt this statement, we had none other than Penn State's Greg Hoover on the river the other day and he confirmed it. He shook his head in disbelief as he posited that the thermal conditions created by the drawdown of the reservoir likely contributed to this strange timing.

But the real story for you head hunters out there is the olive emergences that occur on these drizzly fall days. Compound these with the greatly reduced flows of late and anglers willing to cover some water can find some really nice pods of fish dining on these diminutive (size 22) dainties.

Fishing should continue to improve as the October nears. Do some rain dances and hope for cool over-night lows.

The boys at LHGS

Posted on: 2009/9/22 12:51

Re: Olives in the dampening mist
Webmaster
Thank you guys. Glad to hear things are cooling down.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 22:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com