Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Giving the trout a break

This weekend is the last of the summer guiding season and from here on out it is going to be a weekend only deal. The trout fishing on the river the past week and a half has been fluctuating between good and bad depending on the time of day. There are a few spinners around in the morning, some tiny black caddis, a smattering of Isos throughout the day, and some nice bwo hatches in the afternoon that have had the fish looking up.

Most have likely heard that the PFBC put some "extra" fish in the river recently. These fish have really been on the afternoon bugs and dry fly fishing for them has been silly, but how many six to nine inch fish can you catch before you realize you've entered some kind of stocked trout fishing hell? We've been trying to get underneath these fish the past few days with bigger weighted flies to find some Yough regulars. But, it's exciting to think about these guys holding over well and the great fishing we could have over the next few seasons. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed.

Finally, the water temps have been getting pretty warm this week. The USGS gauges are a little misleading and anglers should be sure to take their stream thermometers with them when fishing the river. The air temps are supposed to climb next week and when you combine that with warmer flows from the dam, the trout are going to be stressed, please lay off sticking hooks in their faces when this happens.

We're officially shutting the trout trips down until the temps cool because we've been seeing too many dead fish downstream of fisherman and we've had a couple of fish that were obviously not doing well the past two days. So keep that in mind and perhaps chase some bass instead if the water is too warm as the bassing is good and is going to stay that way for a while.

So we're taking a break for a while, but we'll be back on the trout once October comes around and we'll be filling you in with fall reports when the time comes.

Until then . . .

Attach file:

jpg  fishing the am streamer bite.jpg (109.03 KB)
874_4c791d65adb63.jpg 627X640 px

jpg  pay off.jpg (93.42 KB)
874_4c791d72754c0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/8/28 10:31

Re: Giving the trout a break

From Pittsburgh
I'll miss you're great reports until you come back.

I've always wondered why the yough tailrace runs out of cold water at this time of year.
I do know that the lake level is pretty low right now, and I guess that would explain things for this year.
But even in wet years - when the lake stays at a high level - the tailrace still always seems to warm up in late summer. Maybe the lake turns over? Or the dam operators change the discharge level?

Anyway, I'll be fishing in the area monday. But I plan on hitting a brookie stream on which I've never seen temps out of 60's.

Posted on: 2010/8/28 14:21

From Pgh
dryflyguy,
I've gone to USACE a couple times about this for information. What they have told me is, basically, the lake "runs out" of cold water... it's gone. Throughout the year releases are scheduled against a complex formula of lake pool level maintenance, flood control, weather and, of course, rafting on weekends and holidays. I don't understand why they can't simply lower avg. releases slightly throughout the year to make the water last a few weeks later, but the response I got from USACE is 1) there's nothing simple about it and 2) this schedule has apparently been blessed by local sportsmen group(s). In other words, in their eyes, it's not a problem.

Posted on: 2010/8/29 9:33

maybe white water rafting , canoeing , kayaking etc. brings in more money than fishing ? i dunno

Posted on: 2010/8/29 21:01

From West Chester, PA
Nice report, and great point about giving a break during warm water. Fortunately for the Yough, you didn't need to recommend that until late August! Looks like Chuck had a good time!

Posted on: 2010/8/30 9:54

From Montgomery County
Just curious about those temps. The gauge below the dam shows temps reaching 70, but Ohiopyle is only getting to 68 or so during the day. It's hard to imagine that river being cooler downstream when the only other major source of water is the Castleman...

Posted on: 2010/8/30 10:23

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Good observation Bam. I find the temp issue perplexing too.

We have had cooler nights lately and I can imagine that might mean the overnight low temps could be lower in Ohiopyle than at the dam, but that doesn't explain the daily highs.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 11:33

Bam,

The Cassellman is putting very little water into the mix right now so that really isn't the issue. GG is right in that the lake runs out of cold water this time of year so it the temps at the dam are often warmer than what you will find downriver. You will see that become more an more apparent as fall approaches. The lake temp takes a lot longer to cool than the river down below, so very often, by late September, you'll see trout friendly temps in Connellsville but 70 degree water below the dam. Even weirder, the C-man will soon become colder than the Yough. It's a strange deal.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 20:33

don't believe usgs thermometers

Posted on: 2010/8/30 20:34

From Montgomery County
Makes sense with the longer and cooler nights... especially in the mountains, but that's one fickle river system. I miss fishing it, so I'm looking forward to more reports come spring. Have a good offseason.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 20:51

From Greensburg, PA
perhaps this has something to do with it?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitts ... ws/regional/s_697072.html

don't know...

Posted on: 2010/8/30 22:11

good post tom !

Posted on: 2010/8/31 10:59

From Pgh
I wonder too Tom, you would think the higher water temps had to have a role in this.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 14:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com