Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Drop it like its hot: The Yough

Hello all,

I hope you'll forgive me the reference to current pop-culture, but it seemed fitting. It seems, from the lack of posts on the stream reports page, that not many are fishing the river right now--not that I blame you. The army corps has decided, for some reason unknown to me, to turn our nice cold river into a sauna. Par-boiled trout anyone?

The upside, as I think I said in my last post, is the smallmouth fishing has been pretty good.

The trout are fine though. I had a couple of guys from Greensburg out on the river on Sunday, and we had a pretty good day. As you might imagine, with the water temps, the morning hours were best. We were fishing large--size 2 and 4-- articualted streamers in white, black and olive, and moving some really nice fish, though we only landed one of them in the morning. A nineteen inch bow all colored up: very nice. We hooked a couple of other fish in the same size range that morning and moved at least a dozen that would only follow. But that's a good sign. The big fish are doing what I'd expect them to be doing at this time of year; they're just doing it in the morning (and probably all night).

The rest of the day was spent dead-drifting and swinging leech and crayfish patterns for smallies, though we still caught plenty of trout (actually more trout than smallmouth), though most of them were small. Most--we did hook one more brown that was around twenty inches and missed another that looked to be the same size.

So, there you have it: the trout are still there, but we should leave them alone during the mid-day hours, at least until we get some cold nights to cool the river down. Keep your eye on the Casselman gauge: it will cool before the resevoir does and bring the river down to more fishable temps.

Good luck out there, and have fun with the fall stockies in the tribs. Until next time. . . The Boys from Laurel Highlands Guide Services www.laurelhighlandsguideservices.com

Posted on: 2007/10/5 9:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com