smallmouth streams near Somerset.

S

somersetian

I have been getting into Smallmouth fly fishing this summer. So far caught 2 out of the Stonycreek in davidsville, and got skunked on the yough last weekend. Any good streams near somerset 1-1 1/2 hours away anyone knows about. Was thinking about the Juniata for this sundays trip, but would really like to fish more of a smaller stream than a bigger river.

The upper Juni is not that big IMO. Go for it! Or fish the branches.

I like the Juniata in that area around Bedford (actually the "Raystown Branch, Juniata River"). It's really not that large of a river - much smaller than the lower Juniata River near Harrisburg. Easy to wade in most spots.
In my experience, there are not a lot of large bass in that section (not many crayfish either) but there are good numbers of small fish.
This section of the Juniata is also top notch for redbreast sunfish.

You might also try the lower Casselman River.

Sounds good. Its either the the lower Juniata or the Casselman for this weekend. Thanks for the info.

I love the casselman for smallmouth… I had a good bit of success a few days ago right in rockwood.

I went by the bridge in fort hill last fri night and did really well. Nothing to big but lots of fish and lots of fun.

Back