selective bass

bushwacker

bushwacker

Went for a walk to a local park that I fish in the summer for bass and panfish. It reminded me of a situation that I encountered this past summer. It was actually early fall and kinda chilly in the morning. I reached the river around 10am. Sky was overcast and air temperatures were just creeping into the 60's. As I looked down stream I noticed dainty rises throughout a deep run. Figuring they were chubs or maybe sunfish and not going to be too picky, I tied on a large attractor. Whatever they were, they wouldn't have anything to do with it. O.K., maybe I'm underestimating those species. Seeing size 22 cream midges floating around, I tyed one on and gave it a whirl. The fly floated directly over a spot were a fish rose seconds before. The fish rose and took the midge greedily. Here's the surprise! When I played it to hand it turned out to be a 12" small mouth bass. It took an hour to work 1/4 mile down stream. I lost count but must have caught and released 15 smallmouth all rising selectivly to size 22 cream midge. That day changed the way I approached bass fishing. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this with bass or sunfish?

Yep. I have mistaken smallies for trout based on the riseforms before in a few marginal ATWs in berks county. They are good fun, and were sitting in the same riffle as a good number of wild browns that I like to harass every time the sulphurs start coming off.

Early 70's my dad and I were fishing Presque Isle Bay. Was using minnows and not doing too good. Can't remember who it was that switched to a night crawler, but we went through two dozen in half an hour. They were hitting any thing from the whole worm to a piece about quarter inch. The worm never got deeper than a few inches. Well we ran out of worms and went back to minnows. Nothing, they didn't want them. So my dad went for more crawlers and even though we were fishing the same spot and surrounding area they quit hitting, only caught two the rest of the day.

I'd consider this an excellent day! Smallies occupy most of my fishing time during the summer and I've seen 'em eating some strange stuff including midges - but it isn't common. Also, the size of the fish you were getting was big. Foot-long smallies can be quite selective and, on the balance, fight far better than a similar sized trout. In my experience, once a smallie gets to about 10 inches, typically a two-three year old fish, they tend to focus on bigger foodstuff. Nevertheless, as opportunists, they'll eat anything. You might want to check the same stream section later this year - I'll bet there's a good chance that you'll find the fish doing the same thing.

They weren't all 12". Some were 8",10" and throw in a sunfish or two. Good day though. Haven't seen anything like it before or since but I definetly will return to this spot in hopes of a repeat.

It took an hour to work 1/4 mile down stream.

Sounds like a pretty good fight. I bet that got your heart pumping a bit, eh? :)

took an hour to fish through that stretch of creek catching multiple fish on midge patterns, not fighting one 12" bass! Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that.

I was smallie fishing a stretch of the Delaware this past summer. There were a couple of bass splashing the surface. I tossed poppers and wiggle minnows at them, but nadda. Then the trout fishing section of my brain kicked in- the rises looked like the fish were taking caddis emergers. I got lucky and found a couple soft hackle emergers in my box (how they got in one of my bass boxes I'll never know), tied one on, and swung it in front of the bass. Fish on! Caught a 3 or 4 through that run. I'll keep a couple in my bass box from now on.

John

I haven't tried dry flies on small mouth. I'm also not saying that they wouldn't work. I usually fish wooly buggers or strip streamers or nymphs when I fish mixed trout, small mouth and rock bass waters. I do have to say that small mouth and rock bass fishing are top on my list. I guilt my brother to go with me. He's a spin rod guy and I take my fly rod. I always have fun kicking his butt (Which doesn't happen often) even though he can cast my fly rod better than me, he can't fish it better. That all will change soon. Bought him a new reel for his fly rod for Christmas. I'm almost afraid to have it spooled with line, which I promised him I would do. I work at fishing well and he just fishes. Some people just are fishy. I think I'll take a lesson from him.

Geeeez! I need to learn the lingo! I Don't fish dry sulfur flies. Maybe that makes it more clear. I do fish spun bass bugs and poppers but usually use them on ponds and lakes. The wooly bugger might seem simple but in small river/ large streams that hold trout/bass/rock bass I sure get results. My Brother gave me a present for Christmas. 2 Guided trips to his favorite spots and some flies he tied that work. I'll let you know how I do. If it's good, I'll be hard pressed to share family secrets. There is 8 years between us (I'm older) but he always finds something to teach me. I have to say the love of fishing and hunting that we have is what connects us the most. They talk about being connected with kids. Take them to the creek. You don't have to do more than flip rocks and pack a peanut and jelly sandwich. GIrls or boys there is nothing better than seeing what lives beneath and sitting with Mom or Dad or Grandparents and eating your P&J on the bank. I know it and my Brother knows it and yes we know a few other things that makes fishing so much fun. We do catch fish, we bust on each other and we're family.

wetnet, my sister is 8 years my senior and we have been fishing buddies since childhood so i think your story is neat. Currently she still only fishes spinning gear but I'm working her up to fly fishing. I'm always surprised that more woman don't fish because those I've known that try it always have enjoyed it. In fact, every female member of my family enjoys fishing including my 55 year old mother whom I introduced to popper fishing for bass this past summer. She fell for it imediately and wouldn't stop requesting fishing trips throughout the summer. I've taken every girlfriend I've had since I was 16 and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Its probably for the best that more woman don't fish or the streams would be much more crowded than they are. Best for me anyways!

I could write a ton of stuff but unless you're like me and you, no one would get it. You're in Lancaster but if you ever want to fish State College for trout you can contact me. I'm looking for an excuse to have my brother kick my butt on waters I've fished. and maybe I can get my son to come as well. My older son is a USA Youth Fly Fishing Team Member, He is trying out for the adult team at the New Mexico Regionals in April. He has his Uncle Johns Genes. It doesn't mean anything unless you just plain love fishing. We are planning a trip to Penn's creek around the 4th of July weekend. It's all about fun and relaxing. I really suck most days but it is those few bright moments that keep me going. Of course you need to bring your sister!

wetnet, thanks for the offer to fish. Its always fun to meet like-minded people. Let me know if you end up taking that trip to penns. If possible we'll toss some line with ya. Pm me if your ever near lancaster too. Good luck to your son. I hope he makes the team!

The offer stands. I'll PM you when it gets closer. Do you live anywhere near the Donegal?

yep. About 15 min. drive from donegal. Used to fish it alot until I started exploring some of the smaller no name streams. We also have lititz run, w. br. octoraro and tully isn't too far either. My favorites are in york though. Muddy and codorus.

I have a very good friend that lives in your area, If you're up for a very passionate fly fisherman, funeral home owner I can hook you up. I hope you drink just a little. LOL. He is a great guy and one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. If you want to meet him ahead of of time come to the Somerset NJ show. He lives in Mount Joy. I'll be at the show Saturday. I'll have a green Team Youth USA shirt on. Just look for the old lady next to the tall thin 6'4" kid.

Wetnet, really wish I could be at the show this saturday but unfortunately I have to work...booo! However, I wouldn't mind meetin' your buddy. And yes, I've been known to drink rum from time to time. Does he post here? Wow! Your son is 6' 4. You'd think the fish would spot him coming before he reaches the water.lol In fly fishing I have a natural advantage being as stubby as I am. No matter where I am, I keep a low profile. Even on high ground! Seriously, my family is always telling me that I'm too introverted and I need to try and meet new people.. so I'd like to meet the funeral home guy...do we get to take the hearse to the creek?

I think he refrains from drawing attention with the hearse. People might think there's been a fish kill. He is a really a great guy and just loves sailing line. And no you don't have to be a drinker to fish with him, that's not what he's about. He's all about the fishing and enjoying the moment! Heck I just have fun watching him fish. I'll ask him if he has some free time to sneak away. People chose the worst times to die.

One day I was fishing the perkie near my house for smallies. I tried streamers, drifting big nymphs...nothing. They weren't hitting the surface but figured what the heck I'll try a damsel dry fly and caught a bunch. Don't know why?? Although, I am not a real smallie fly fisherman. I only do it a couple times a year. It sure was a lot of fun. Maybe I'll dedicate some more time to it this year!

Back