reminder for smallmouth reg changes.....

krayfish

krayfish

Susquehanna from Sunbury to Holtwood Dam
And
Juniata from Port Royal bridge down to mouth at Clarks Ferry

It is unlawful to fish for l/ target bass. Accidentally caught fish must be released immediately. Also applies 1/2 mile up the tribs in those sections.

Here's a link to the full regs: http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summaryad/z03regs_species.pdf

Always a good reminder!

krayfish wrote:
Susquehanna from Sunbury to Holtwood Dam
And
Juniata from Port Royal bridge down to mouth at Clarks Ferry

It is unlawful to fish for l/ target bass. Accidentally caught fish must be released immediately. Also applies 1/2 mile up the tribs in those sections.

That is only from May 1 to June 13. Rest of the year you can target bass but with catch and immediate release.

Oops, missed the dates when I posted. Yes, May 1st to June 15th. What stood out to me was that it was illegal to target bass.

The guides just claim to be fishing for Walleye.

The same rules were in effect last year.

May and June werent real great on the Juniata waterwise last year, seemed to be high and murky most of the time. We just hung along the edges tossing little foam bugs for panfish and would hit a few holes looking for musky.

Based on last fall's sampling, it would be a mistake to pass up the bass fishing opportunities from York Haven dam down to the Safe Harbor tail-race this year. What a change. Whether or not it will last is anybody's guess, but if I were to go out on a limb, based on other experiences with depressed fish populations, I think that there is reason to be cautiously optimistic. For my part, I am pretty confident, but admit that this time things could be different, especially since my comments are based only on one fall's sampling effort. On the other hand, anglers often miss great opportunities by not jumping quickly enough to take advantage of good fisheries while they last.

Mike, are you suggesting a rebound in bass populations? Or recommending that we take up catfish fishing?

Reread the first sentence and the last one. Then read the cautionary note in the third sentence.

Back