pike setup/leaders

S

somersetian

with the purchase of my 1966 sears 12ft jon boat I am finally ready to get serious about fly fishing for pike. I have an 8wt Ive used for bass and small mouth fishing. The flyline on the reel right now is supposedly made for deep nymphing rigs with weight/indicators but I've casted poppers and 4-6 inch streamers for bass with it decently enough. I've been told that I should overload the rod with 9wt line if I want to do some serious Pike fishing, reason being the heavier line loads the rod more efficiently and makes casting big flies long distances easier.(thats one mans opinion) I would also like to hear about what leaders you guys use. I'm all about simple and doing it myself so I would rather not just purchase a bunch of toothy critter leaders. thanks.

3-5 feet of 30-80 lb line. on my 9 wt, I typically use a 4' section of 40 or 50 lb. that's it

So I could just use 5' of 80lb fluro directly from line to fly? or should I use 80lb for a 3' butt section and a 2' of lighter?

somersetian wrote:
So I could just use 5' of 80lb fluro directly from line to fly? or should I use 80lb for a 3' butt section and a 2' of lighter?

Remember, you will need a "break section" in the leader, I typically use 20lb just before the tippet. That way if you get snagged and can't retrieve your fly, you can pop it off without a disaster. Double check your terminal connections: are your fly line loops solid? This sort of thing. Breaking off a #20 tippet puts much greater stress on connections than a typical trout fisherman is accustomed to.

Personally, I have used both wire and heavy flouro and am still not committed to either one. Experiment a bit. A big issue is storage: How do you carry your flies? Do you have room to coil up a longer length of flouro, or is it easier to permanently attach a 6-8" wire bite tippet? Would you prefer to keep these bite leaders separate from your flies, or attached while they are in boxes, etc.?

I keep mine simple too. 4 to 6 feet of 25-40 lb fluorocarbon. Most of my pike streamers are tied on long shank hooks which gives me a bit of bite off protection.-

It al depends on the sz of the pike. I set up for the big bite for pike and musky the set up are the same. I start 3 ft of 40 pound flouro nail knotted to the fly line (this is my break point). You'll slip the nail knot before your fly line breaks. I nonslip mono loop the end tag end of the flouro and do the same to my wire bite guard and hand shake them together. Then I use a good quality snap.

I never go over 4 ft from fly line to fly. If you do your Fly's always chasing your sinking line. You want them to be on thesame depth.

Paco, what snaps do you recommend?

Sea striker snaps. They have 40 pound and 60 pound sz. The 40 is under 1/2 in. In length. Here's the link sea striker

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well I am forced to experiment, I order leader and tippet material as well as 9 wt fly line to overload my 8 wt with but none of it has arrived and tom's weather is suppose to be great. I went to good old walmart for probably the first time in 5 years and bought some 20 lb fluro, they didn't have 80, and I have some 50 lb mono already I've used for bass leaders. I also bought some wire leaders they had for spinning gear. I only made up one leader and tied it on for tom because I figured I would be making adjustments anyway. I did 2 1/2 ft of the 50 lb mono, 1 ft of 20 lb fluro, and 6'' of the wire leader. The wire leaders came with a swivel at one end and a snap at the other. I tied a loop(surprised how nicely it tied)half way and cut the swivel end off and looped it to the 20 ' fluro. I guess we will see how it works.

I Musky fish never pike fished yet. Last year I hada nice Muskie break off using 80lb carbon . Bite offs suck. So I switched to the rio 40wire. I love it and haven't noticed a difference in action and still I'm getting the same amount of interest too. I just started using the stay-lok snaps from mustad size 4. I love them. A pain to learn how to use but once you get the hang of it ya got it.

I'll use 4' 50lb floro and if I'm throwing larger flies for bigger fish I'll use rio musky/ pike leader.

You could even use barracuda leaders

Back