one hour BEFORE SUNRISE or one hour AFTER SUNSET

The only time I've ever seen the sun rise is if I was up from the night before. Convienence dictates the latter.

FWIW, I operate with the suspicion that fish are late sleepers.

Bruce,
It depends on what sort of angling experience you seek and what type of person you are. If, like Gfen, you're not a morning person then the answer is obvious.

I think for many trout fishermen, the evening is best due to insect hatch activity. Personally, I'm not a great fan of hatch matching and like to fish for species other than trout such as river smallmouths or surf stripers. In those cases, I like early morning. It's a peaceful time of day with little traffic or human activity and game fish are often very active whereas in the evening they're still recovering from boating and fishing pressure.

I agree with fishidiot, mornings are best for some of us who chase non trout species..I'm up most days before the chickens crow..

+1 for fishidiot's post.

I don't like mornings, and rarely get up early to trout fish. When I'm at the beach, I like to get up pre-dawn to hit the water because a sunrise at the beach is worth it to me.

Experience and intelligence trumps youth, IMHO my experience with stripaaaahs is that the morning bite is best also other factors come into play such as tides wind direction and moon phase as well as barometeric pressure.
where it applies to Delaware Smallies morning is best, Susky i have had my best angling from 6:00 till midnight.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
P.S. you can always go back to the motel room and take a nap before evening and go get em again and then get some more shut eye then get yer butt out of bed and get em in the morning.that is why morning fishing is best

Meh. I just don't enjoy getting up early. I do it all week, and don't like to do it on the weekends.

That's why we do this, after all. For enjoyment. I refuse to make myself miserable. Catching fish is second to being out there and throwing line, so I'll take my 8 hours and maximize my enjoyment.

morning-no wonder someone was snookered.

I love fishing 1 hr before (the witching hour) and after dark. Especially durring the full moon. Thats prime time for me!

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
I love fishing 1 hr before (the witching hour)

Uhm that's midnight.

full moon and right before midnight or after can be fantastic fishing too....

As someone who spent many years night fishing for trout,bass and salt water species I have found there will be feeding periods.It may be slow and slower then suddenly the fish really turn on.If you miss it you would swear there is nothing there.lol

Back