Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: if the water feels like a bathtub, that's warm, right?

From SEPA
ladies and gentlemen, the coppernose sunfish.

Attach file:

jpg  coppernose.jpg (68.33 KB)
697_4dc74d4e4462c.jpg 338X469 px

Posted on: 2011/5/8 22:09

Gfen,

Thanks for the vicarious trip to the salt. My parents live about a mile from Vany beach n the “low Rent” section, Naples Park. I have been fishing down there 1-2 times per year for 25 years. If you’re headed down again, shoot me a PM. I have a few good wadable spots you might like.

One quick tip: get to the beach about ½ hour before dawn on a moving tide. Snook live a moving tide. You should be able to see well enough on that beach with all the high-rise condos. Also, Wiggin’s Pass has some decent fishing from shore.
Ladyfish and jacks are my “save the day” fish.

Thanks again for sharing.

- Mike

Posted on: 2011/5/10 8:29

From SEPA

I meant to take in Wiggins Pass through the park. One morning I committed to walking down there from the last public access point on Vanderbilt before I decided my old man was confused and it wasn't "a short walk" but a billion miles away.

I imagine that they're going to try and haul me down there again next year, after witnessing how easy it is to fish the surf there (vs the NJ beaches), I'll probably be more willing. Don't be surprised to see a PM from me someday on that subject.

I couldn't do it, but I see what the old people seek the area out. It was amazing how the beaches, when I was there, were devoid of pretty young things but crawling with geezers. I was told its different in season, so what do I know? Next time, I might try and rent a boat for a day in the bay, too.

I think I had a jack, too. I don't know what it was. Small, somewhat elongated, very silvery body and some wicked pectoral fin spines that made my hand hurt like a mother for the rest of the day? Someone told me it was a jack, but I didn't think they looked like that.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 9:14

Count your blessings about not being there in season. 41 is a zoo and the beaches have way too many fat German men in Speedos & thongs. THere are some things you just can't un-see!

Jacks are shaped somewhat like panfish, but on 'roids. They are bruts. If you get a 10 pounder, watch out! Muy brother caught one in Naples Harbor that was about that size. He was using 30 pound spin tackle and a big youzuri plug. The jack straightened all but a single hook! I love 'em! They are quick to hit top, too.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 11:45

One reason I can't feature going out with a 3 weight in the salt...you might be targeting ladyfish, but obviously anything can happen.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 11:49

From SEPA
Quote:

barbless wrote:
One reason I can't feature going out with a 3 weight in the salt...you might be targeting ladyfish, but obviously anything can happen.

That's part of the adventure, innit?

Posted on: 2011/5/18 14:27

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com