Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: identify this fish

From Ohio
BelAirSteve beat me to it, I was just gonna ask that. There's a slight chance that last fish could have some bluegill in it, as green sunfish do tend to hybridnize with other sunfish species, but it is definitely not a pure bluegill. Bluegills don't have the blue/green lines or the orange on the fins.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 21:00

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:
gfen, you mean like the dark spot at the base of the dorsal fin on streamerguy's pics? Do you contend that they are bluegill too? I don't recall ever seeing a bluegill with those blue/green lines on the side of the head either.

I think he means its a freaking bluegill, who cares!

Posted on: 2012/9/16 21:05

From Other side of the tracks
Definitely not a bluegill or a pumpkin seed.

Chaz, my autistic nephew could color better than whoever did those pictures for the PF&BC. Then again, the PF&BC could be "trying" to depict a female. The only thing that they got about right was the shape which you entirely missed. Also look at the mouth.

Google something other than PF&BC. No idea why their fish identification pages are so lame. Was it done by Walt Disney?

Most likely a male green sunfish, and green sunfish do have the spot at the base of the dorsal fin.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 16:04

Going by color is a not a good way to id sunfish. I've posted this link before, so please forgive me if you've seen it before:

Sunfish identification by key.

It's a green sunfish.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 22:41

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:
gfen, you mean like the dark spot at the base of the dorsal fin on streamerguy's pics? Do you contend that they are bluegill too? I don't recall ever seeing a bluegill with those blue/green lines on the side of the head either.

I think he means its a freaking bluegill, who cares!

Funny you should say that - I know gfen's sarcasm runs about as deep as anyone's, and I normally do a pretty good job of detecting. I guess I was off my game a little!

Posted on: 2012/9/17 22:42

From Philadelphia PA
It's called "bait" I believe.....Use them to attract BIG BASS and MUSKIES.

They are definately fun to catch especially on a 3wt. I agree with streamerguy.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 16:05
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com