HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: end of smallmouth on the susquehanna

From York, PA
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
The fishermen were not "off" at the Jam. The river was. It's a pathetic excuse for a smallmouth river now. Even upstream. This area is screwed for smallies

If I remember correctly, Maurice was using a spin rod (just to find the fish or course) and he still couldn't catch anything?

It's really a shame, and probably can't be returned to the World Class river it used to be. But these "scientific" tests they use now are really only a couple guys walking near the shore to shock the tiny fish and count how many have fungus spots on them?

The graphs you show don't seem logical to me! And the few fish left are almost all "unisex" and sickly with legions? And all the stinkin' silt on the bottom now, and the 90 degree water temps, and the rocksnot on almost every stinkin' rock!

It's kinda sad for a fly fisherman like me, but the trout are still here and the bluegills in the lakes are doing fine!

Posted on: 2013/1/31 13:39

During the summer of 2011 we had an erruption of the same problem with the YOY SMB at isolated locations (not riverwide) in the Schuylkill R (Reading upstream to Berne) and in the Delaware R (Point Pleasant..upper Bucks Co). Water temps exceeded the max suitable for SMB YOY. High flows late into spring delayed spawning to the point that YOY hatched out and were still present in the shallows when exceptionally hot days rolled in. Had the flows not been exceptionally high in spring and had an exceptionally warm spell not arrived so soon after the spawning took place, the adults would have spawned earlier and the YOY would probably not have been forced (behaviorally) to occupy such shallow, exceedingly warm habitat. They probably would have been in deeper water or more mobile in a normal year and would have avioded the exceptionally warm shallows.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 13:15

From Flourtown, PA
This May, Afish, I will take you down home to the New, and we can catch dozens of big fish again like we used to. On top.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 11:13

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com