Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

damsels and dragons on the Susky

I have seen some of the biggest smallmouth in the Susky launch themselves for either damsels or dragons, not sure which. Does anyone have any experience with these two insects on the Susky, and what sizes and stages of these insects make for the most productive fishing for smallies? I just hope the channels and carp stay away, I'm not looking to fight something for 10-20 minutes that isn't a 6lb bronze back, haha.

Those channel cats are beasts, I hooked into one on a white marabou during the white hatch, and it was like fighting Moby Dick, it honestly must have taken 20 minutes to fight it with 3x. Was probably around 20lbs, there are super tankers in there, they probably eat live smallmouth, suckers, fall fish, and chub. I landed one on a musky rod that hit a floating jointed 7 inch creek chub on the surface, and two others on a huge shad rap rapala.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 21:29

Re: damsels and dragons on the Susky

From Greensburg, PA
I have fished damsel and dragon fly nymphs for several years. I have tied adults but only caught a few on those. The nymphs are deadly though.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 22:18

On the Susky, ponds, lakes? I searched and found some ties in the forum, I am guessing these bass are attacking one of the two, wonder if olive buggers imitate them sufficiently.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 23:11

From Greensburg, PA
I fished them mostly in lakes but I'm sure the shallow slower parts of the Susky would be good. Put dumbell eyes on teh bugger and clip the tail short for dragon flies. Smaller buggers with skinny tail for damsel.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 13:20

From Lewistown
I've seen smallies on Lycoming Creek lauch to grab damsels and dragons.

Instead of a bugger use a wooly worm for a generic pattern. Or tie something more specific.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 16:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com