White Fly Watch

albatross

albatross

I hit Slippery Rock Creek tonight on the DHALO section. The White Flies started comming off about 8:30PM, but the smallies are not taking them yet. I would think the bite will be on some time this comming week.

I did manage a large sucker earlier in the evening on a san juan worm. I briefly hooked one smallie on a black leach, but lost him. I saw no other anglers tonight from 6:30 to 9:30 PM.

The creek lived up to its name. I slid across a large rock and tumbled into the creek.

guys,

I fished Slippery Rock last night. Like you said albatross, the bugs started at 8:30. From then until pitch dark, the action was awesome. I caught about a dozen fish and missed many more, especially when it got too dark. Nothing of any real size this trip, all were from 8 to 13 inches, but man were they fun! Caught them all on top using a small white popper fished quartering downstream and skated across the surface. They would simply smash it. Had to replace a cork popper which are usually pretty durable. I fished upstream of 422, above Rose Point. The bugs were coming off pretty thick, not a blizzard, more like a snow shower. ;^)

Have fun out there.

greenghost

GG,

Bruno was fishing near you last night and had a good time as well (link to Bruno's Stream Report). You didn't run into him did you?

I'm really bumming that I missed this by a single day! We'll see if I can trek out there again this week.

albatross,
I saw no other fisherman last night. I was fairly far upstream of 422 though. Just a note for you alba, IMO the delayed harvest area is not the best place to go for bass. I fished the white fly hatch one night last year in the area and got skunked! But when I moved immediately upstream or down I got into fish. Go figure. I also think between the Harris and Eckert bridges can be very good. Again, that's my opinion. Good luck.

Thanks Green Ghost. It sure looks like smallie water. Live and learn.

Back