Where to buy Bass Poppers??

TUNA

TUNA

I was just curious if any of you guys buy Bass Poppers? I know Flyfisher's Paradise has a nice selection of them, but was looking for other patterns as well. I've seen some made by Betts and Gaines, but are there any other companies mass producing poppers that aren't terrible quality? I've thought about tying/making my own, but until I buy everything I would need it would probably work out to be the same amount of money. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also has anyone tried to modify "Spinning Gear" poppers for flyfishing?

TUNA wrote:
I've thought about tying/making my own, but until I buy everything I would need it would probably work out to be the same amount of money.
This and these means dirt cheap poppers.

spin some deer hair on a hook, make them small to large. easy poppers.

I use foam cylinders. Dress the hook, cut a notch in the foam, line everything with glue, and place on hook. Glue or draw a few eyes on the popper and you are done.

You could probably tie a few dozen for under $5.

Gander Mtn. has a decent selection. That's where I get mine...

Thanks for the info guys.

Here is one I just tied. What ya think?

Attachments

• Popper___First_Deer_Hair.jpg
    Popper___First_Deer_Hair.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 1
DJ- Do i have to get them t hrough myflies or do you sell direct, too?? LOL Very nice popper, and its my favorite color. I think I'm going to try and make a few and buy a few.

djmyers wrote:
Here is one I just tied. What ya think?

Showoff. You're acting like you've won a fly tying competition!

Dear TUNA,

DJ's fly is absolutely fantastic but in reality it's hard to beat the ones made with foam cylinders like Jay suggested. They don't look anywhere near as pretty but they do catch fish.

Just be sure to wrap a solid thread base on the hook before you glue the sliced cylinder down. Use Zap-A-Gap or some other thick glue to attach the cylinder because Super Glue doesn't work too well for that job.

All you need to do is tie on a tail of bucktail or calftail and your done once body is glued on.

If you are hellbent on buying some I'll second albatross and suggest looking at your local Gander Mountain store. They have a pretty good selection in most of the stores I've been in and the prices are reasonable.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

wsender wrote:
Showoff. You're acting like you've won a fly tying competition!

Hey, I am showing off. I was proud of that popper. It was my first ever deer hair popper. I cannot wait for it to get a little warmer to test it out. :)

When it comes to poppers I've found that balance is everything. The best poppers sit high in the water with their backs tilted down. I have found that, surprisingly, poppers aren't all that easy to tie. Believe me, I've tried and have failed miserably. For some reason, my attempts tend to sit flush on the water.

I've found that there is a huge difference between commercially offered poppers. Many are made of styrofoam and poorly balanced. A total waste of money.

These days I gave up trying to make my own and buy most of mine through LL Bean. They are great. Well-balanced with fantastic action. Great hook-ups. And very durable.

That is something I tried to do with this one. I don't remember which video I was watching online, the presenter was stressing that you need to keep the fly balanced. Trying to get equal amounts of hair, top and bottom the whole length of the hook. I wish I remembered the link cause it was very informative and very helpful.

If you're tying from packed hair, two tips:
1) Trash receptical: All that deer hair is goign to make a HUGE mess.
2) Safety razors: You know, the old kind you cut your coke with.. Think Judas Priest's British Steel cover. Snap in half, cut popper. It'll go through like butter and you can flex it to get those nice curves.

I've tied a few, they never look quite as nicely laid out as DJ's because I'm too lazy, and gurglers tie easier. :)

gfen wrote:
If you're tying from packed hair, two tips:
1) Trash receptical: All that deer hair is goign to make a HUGE mess.
2) Safety razors: You know, the old kind you cut your coke with.. Think Judas Priest's British Steel cover. Snap in half, cut popper. It'll go through like butter and you can flex it to get those nice curves.

I've tied a few, they never look quite as nicely laid out as DJ's because I'm too lazy, and gurglers tie easier. :)

Dear gfen,

Good idea on the safety razor tip but I'd caution against snapping it in half and suggest simply covering one half of the blade with duct tape. That way you have a little more of a tool to work with and you save half of it for later use without the opportunity to accidently lose half of it..

I am assuming that by a safety razor you are refering to the "old school" double edged razor blades? The ones where you had to twist the shaft of the razor to open the top to drop in a new blade? Those are the type I am talking about.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:
Good idea on the safety razor tip but I'd caution against snapping it in half and suggest simply covering one half of the blade with duct tape. That way you have a little more of a tool to work with and you save half of it for later use without the opportunity to accidently lose half of it..

I am assuming that by a safety razor you are refering to the "old school" double edged razor blades? The ones where you had to twist the shaft of the razor to open the top to drop in a new blade? Those are the type I am talking about.

judas priest, man.
British-Steel.jpg

i imagine all the fiddling with duct tape would end up removing valuable flesh.

each to their own.

Back