Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: What is the best bass fly rod

From Ferguson Twp.
I too would have touted a nine foot seven weight, two weeks ago. Then I fished a ten foot seven weight, there's quite a difference from nine to ten feet. More than I thought there would have been, much for the better. It was much easier to mend, control, and abiltiy to keep line out of those nasty conflicting currents.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:16

For largemouth I am usually casting big deer hair bugs and prefer a 9' 8 wt and have even gone to a 9 wt in the wind. Big bugs, especially after they have soaked up some water, cast easier with a heavier line. I prefer a 10' rod for steelhead for mending and control, but they are a little long to me for punching out accurate casts to holes in the weedbeds - like a 9' better for that.

For streamer fishing I have gone down to a 6 wt. But then again, my favorite bass fishing is wading the shallows in June and casting deer hair bugs and a heavier rod helps with that.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 8:33

Quote:

flipnfly wrote:
sage makes a bass specific rod for tournaments which is only 7'7"

What is their argument for using such a short fly rod for bass fishing?

Posted on: 2013/3/6 8:36

From West Chester
Troutbert, The rod is 7'7 because of tackle restrictions in bass tournaments not because it performs better. I think for most tournaments the maximum allowable rod length is 8 feet.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 9:15

From Upper Bucks
I have used the Ross Flystick in the past and I recently picked up the Bass II rod from Sage. I like the Sage rod and the short length comes in handy, especially from the yak. I picked up the Smallmouth model and the line's grain weight puts it right between 10-11wt standard so it can throw the heaviest and most wind resistant flies.

I prefer to use a 9ft 8wt for most of my smallmouth fishing.
There are some locations where I wade very deep and a 10 or 11ft works better.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 13:30

From chester county pa
Thank you for the tips

Posted on: 2013/3/7 19:12

From pittsburgh pa
I like to fish top water with poppers for bass, i've been using an 8'6" 5 wt. but feel the line is to light is a 7wt the next logical wt. to buy?

Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:47

From Cleona, Pa
9'8wt hands down. That way you can cast size 2 poppers, into heavy wind, and pull a big fish out of cover. And cast distance. Lighter rigs will work but they limit you on what you can do.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 15:58

From pgh
jkilroy nailed it. another vote for 9' 8wt. covers you for pretty much any largies, smallies, wipers, pike, carp, etc. Plus if you go on vacation and wanna have a go at redfish, bones, bluefish, stripers, snook, etc. you are still covered. By far my most used rod.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 12:27

From "THE VILLE"
Doesn't surprise anyone. I use a 10wt for pond bass. Why work to throw oversize wind pushing bass bugs. When with a 10 ya can pick up and put down with 1 back cast. Plus the stuff I throw is big 3 & 4 ot singles.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 17:28
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
Generally, for me it's a fast-action 9' 8-weight, it will cover all the bases well from nymphing for smallies to punching big deerhair poppers into the wind to dragging bottom with crayfish flies.

But I'm a bit of a gear freak, so I also own an 11' 7-weight switch rod for fishing bigger waters, like the North Branch of the Susky (the reason I bought it), an 8'6" 6-weight for chasing smallies in smaller streams, and once in a while I've been known to bust out the 9' 10-weight I use for the "big toothies" on particularly windy days, but not for long, those 10-weights really wear you out...

Posted on: 2013/5/8 6:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com