What fly rod for #4 bass flies

B

buzzin_frog

I am wondering what would be an appropriate rod for #4 bass flies in light cover. Some flies I plan on using are mice, divers, clousers, and poppers to name a few.

Anything from a 6-8 weight would be appropriate. The bushier the fly, the more you'll have to up the line and rod to fight the wind and turn them over. A 6 would handle the clousers and poppers. Divers and mice you may need sometihng a bit bigger.

I use an 8wt that does the job for the flies that you are planning to use. It's good for those windy river conditions too.

buzzin_frog wrote:
I am wondering what would be an appropriate rod for #4 bass flies in light cover. Some flies I plan on using are mice, divers, clousers, and poppers to name a few.

How much do you plan on spending ?

I was looking at Cabelas Cahill combo

7wt fast action.

The heavier weight rods are gonna tire you out quicker, the faster action will not only help you throw heftier flies, but will help you set the hook in a bass' bony jaw.

A few companies are now making 7'11" rods for throwing streamers and bass bugs. They'd be worth looking into.

What about #6 flies?

that rod will throw anything from size 14 dry flies to 2/0 clousers....

Perfect for #6 flies as well frog. They're pretty stout rods made for bass tournaments where the rods need to be shorter than 8' to qualify.

Will you be fishing from a boat/shorline? If so, these rods would be perfect for throwing bass bugs and streamers. If you're wading, you may want a 9' rod to help manage your line.

Back