Warmwater Leader Formula

T

tctrout

I have been fishing warmwater for years, but typically buy the leaders already built. I would prefer making my own, and am interested in hearing if anyone has a leader formula they like, or can point me in the right direction.

I primarily fish a 7 or 8 wt. for bass and stripers, with the occasional pike getting caught. Depending on the species, I will adjust up to a 9 weight, mainly to throw the larger patterns. The tippet normally goes down to 6lb.

Thanks for any replies,

Tim

for stripers i have been using straight 25. about 5 ft. with one dropper. simple, cheap easy. for bass I'm usually not trying to make a delicate presentation.

ebroesicke wrote:
for stripers i have been using straight 25. about 5 ft. with one dropper. simple, cheap easy. for bass I'm usually not trying to make a delicate presentation.

By one dropper, do you mean:

25# - 5'
~`8# - 2'

Thanks,

Tim

no just straight 25# with a dropper ( like czech or wet fly set up) about 18" above the terminal end.

This set up should work for pike too, although I don't think I have ever caught one on the fly, my standard rig with gear ends in 20# flouro, which I haven't had bit off. No bueno for blue fish though, you need 80#+ mono for those bastages.

For open water Large or smallmouth I would think the 8lb tippet is good, i would use a long butt section if you want to tie your own. However, in heavy cover, bass guys (like tournament) routinely use 25# flouro, so depending on your situation, 1 5' piece of mono/ flouro (use mono) could work out.

Does anyone have more input on this? I have been doing a little research and found people saying the same. About 20 to 25lb mono. 5ft long. Im looking at making one and putting a tippet ring on the end then putting line on I tie my fly to. I also have very fast sinking line down to 20ft. I wanted to know if a shorter leader would be more beneficial for that line?

TigerTrout4wt wrote:
I also have very fast sinking line down to 20ft. I wanted to know if a shorter leader would be more beneficial for that line?

When using sinking lines, a shorter leader is usually a good idea. This will get your fly down faster.

For a typical streamer set-up for bass fishing, I'd likely use a leader something in the total length of 4 feet.

Thanks dave,
I thought the shorting the leader the faster it would get my fly down. I will be making some up today to hopeful try out this weekend. If weather holds up.

Here's another one. I run this off my Muskie rod. I run a tapered but cut up higher to match the 10lb I run. I put a small barrel swivel on in between my tapered and 10 lb line. This way when my 10 lb line gets to short I cut at swivel pitch and run a new one.

Thats why i use a tippet ring. I need to ask now. Why use a barrel swivel? What are the benefits to this? wouldnt this possibly make your fly spin?

I put a small barrel swivel on in between my tapered and 10 lb line. This way when my 10 lb line gets to short I cut at swivel pitch and run a new one.

This helps when the fish is turning and twisting in the water. Ive had no problems with the fly spinning in the water. I've never used a Tippett ring but isn't it the same basically but with a snap swivel.

Solitariolupo wrote:
I've never used a Tippett ring but isn't it the same basically but with a snap swivel.
Don't answer that after I posted I realized I was actually looking at a snap swivel and not a Tippett ring. Haha

I just tied 3 up. I did 2ft of 20lb with a blood knot connection to 1ft of 10lb that has a swivel on the end then I did 1ft 8lb of fluorocarbon that my fly will go on. I did do one with a tippet ring instead of a swivel just to see if it really makes a difference. I will update this once I try them a few times to see how I like them. Thanks everyone for all your imput! Tight lines guys!

For salt I use a straight shot of #20 .
I typically use aHand furled leader for bass .

Here is clousers formula http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/wwjournal/wwjournwwtips7_2.htm

Back