Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Warmwater Leader Formula

I have been fishing warmwater for years, but typically buy the leaders already built. I would prefer making my own, and am interested in hearing if anyone has a leader formula they like, or can point me in the right direction.

I primarily fish a 7 or 8 wt. for bass and stripers, with the occasional pike getting caught. Depending on the species, I will adjust up to a 9 weight, mainly to throw the larger patterns. The tippet normally goes down to 6lb.

Thanks for any replies,

Tim

Posted on: 2014/4/7 6:46

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

Re: Warmwater Leader Formula

From Bethlehem, PA
for stripers i have been using straight 25. about 5 ft. with one dropper. simple, cheap easy. for bass I'm usually not trying to make a delicate presentation.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 7:40

Quote:

ebroesicke wrote:
for stripers i have been using straight 25. about 5 ft. with one dropper. simple, cheap easy. for bass I'm usually not trying to make a delicate presentation.

By one dropper, do you mean:

25# - 5'
~`8# - 2'

Thanks,

Tim

Posted on: 2014/4/7 17:48

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here:

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

From Bethlehem, PA
no just straight 25# with a dropper ( like czech or wet fly set up) about 18" above the terminal end.

This set up should work for pike too, although I don't think I have ever caught one on the fly, my standard rig with gear ends in 20# flouro, which I haven't had bit off. No bueno for blue fish though, you need 80#+ mono for those bastages.

For open water Large or smallmouth I would think the 8lb tippet is good, i would use a long butt section if you want to tie your own. However, in heavy cover, bass guys (like tournament) routinely use 25# flouro, so depending on your situation, 1 5' piece of mono/ flouro (use mono) could work out.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 20:07

From Dallastown
Does anyone have more input on this? I have been doing a little research and found people saying the same. About 20 to 25lb mono. 5ft long. Im looking at making one and putting a tippet ring on the end then putting line on I tie my fly to. I also have very fast sinking line down to 20ft. I wanted to know if a shorter leader would be more beneficial for that line?

Posted on: 5/27 12:01

From Gettysburg
Quote:

TigerTrout4wt wrote:
I also have very fast sinking line down to 20ft. I wanted to know if a shorter leader would be more beneficial for that line?

When using sinking lines, a shorter leader is usually a good idea. This will get your fly down faster.

For a typical streamer set-up for bass fishing, I'd likely use a leader something in the total length of 4 feet.

Posted on: 5/27 12:14

From Dallastown
Thanks dave,
I thought the shorting the leader the faster it would get my fly down. I will be making some up today to hopeful try out this weekend. If weather holds up.

Posted on: 5/27 12:30

Here's another one. I run this off my Muskie rod. I run a tapered but cut up higher to match the 10lb I run. I put a small barrel swivel on in between my tapered and 10 lb line. This way when my 10 lb line gets to short I cut at swivel pitch and run a new one.

Posted on: 5/27 12:54

From Dallastown
Thats why i use a tippet ring. I need to ask now. Why use a barrel swivel? What are the benefits to this? wouldnt this possibly make your fly spin?

Quote:

I put a small barrel swivel on in between my tapered and 10 lb line. This way when my 10 lb line gets to short I cut at swivel pitch and run a new one.

Posted on: 5/27 13:18

This helps when the fish is turning and twisting in the water. Ive had no problems with the fly spinning in the water. I've never used a Tippett ring but isn't it the same basically but with a snap swivel.

Posted on: 5/27 18:51

Quote:

Solitariolupo wrote:
I've never used a Tippett ring but isn't it the same basically but with a snap swivel.

Don't answer that after I posted I realized I was actually looking at a snap swivel and not a Tippett ring. Haha

Posted on: 5/27 22:04

From Dallastown
I just tied 3 up. I did 2ft of 20lb with a blood knot connection to 1ft of 10lb that has a swivel on the end then I did 1ft 8lb of fluorocarbon that my fly will go on. I did do one with a tippet ring instead of a swivel just to see if it really makes a difference. I will update this once I try them a few times to see how I like them. Thanks everyone for all your imput! Tight lines guys!

Posted on: 5/29 13:02

From Delaware Co.
For salt I use a straight shot of #20 .
I typically use aHand furled leader for bass .

Here is clousers formula http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/wwjournal/wwjournwwtips7_2.htm

Posted on: 6/2 6:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com