Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Warm Water in Winter?

From York County
Fishidiot wrote;

Quote:
JLW,

It was a rant, I was out on Thanksgiving at Brunner Island and got skunked right below the discharge. I actually only fished for ten minutes and got a phone call to pick the kids and mommy up.

1 wt:

Bad week I guess, I just got home an hour ago from my 3rd funeral/viewing this year, all relatives. Plus I got skunked there last week, so I'm allowed to grumble, Truth is I've been skunked there a half dozen times this year.

Mike,

from what I've gathered through other members here, the towers function primarily during summer to lessen the amount of warm water that actually gets released into the river. It goes to the dozen or so towers and is evaporated off. Then in the winter they begin discharging again at a higher volume into the river via the old discharge channel. I live less than 3 miles from the plant, I'll have to get more info soon, I'm not 100 percent certain of any of this information, however I don't believe it completely eliminates the warm warm discharge into the river altogether. I've seen the towers functioning within the past few weeks and it's been cold. I can see the steam from them from the parking lot of the Wago Club a few hundred yards away. And I'm there on a regular basis, so I'm not sure about the workings of the new system.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 21:41

From York
Mike is correct. The Brunner Island cooling towers are now out of service for the winter so there should be good warm water fishing at that location and downriver for the winter.

The volume of water (during normal plant operation) discharging from the channel does not change winter vs summer. And it all discharges to the river at the same original location. To state it simple, when the cooling towers are in service the warm water from the plant is rerouted through the towers and then back to the same old discharge channel. The intent is that all the water discharging from the plant is cooled. Cooling capability is dependant on ambient wet bulb temperature. When the towers are OSS, then the plant's warm water water flows straight down that same original channel.

The reason for the "no cars at the warm water fishing location" might just be that there was no warm water til now. When the river comes back down I'm going to give it a try and I would expect a lot of company especially on weekends. You might want to give it a try 1WT.

Posted on: 2010/12/4 12:54

From York County
Fritz,

Thanks again for shedding some light on the workings of the new system, that makes sense because I'd been there when the towers were on and the discharge channel still running at full force earlier this fall.

I was not sure whether or not the towers recycled the water back to the channel.

Posted on: 2010/12/4 15:34

From Mechanicsburg, PA
You use to be able to get them on a floating minnow in the dead of winter. AHHHHHH the gold old days.

Posted on: 2010/12/22 9:55

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com