Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Warm Water Mix - Lebanon County

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Worked out of Harrisburg today so I decided to hit the Swatara in Lebanon County on my way home, high water or not! I fished the mouth of a smaller warm water trib that empties into the Swatara on the calm side of the main stream in this stretch. The channel on the opposite bank was high, stained, and still ripping, but I could safely wade the calm shallow side of this stretch.

I planned on working up the trib a bit but I had a good bit of success in the hole that is formed at the mouth, and my trip got cut short by the impending rain/storms. Caught a couple good sized Rock Bass along with a few small Redbreasts and Fallfish. Didn't take a water temp, but the water still felt cool for this time of year...guessing mid 60's. Caught everything on a small black BH Bugger. The Rock Bass and Redbreasts hit on the pauses in between the strips, and the Fallfish hit immediately when the fly hit the water. The Fallfish (as usual for them) were in shallower, heavier current and were rising to something very small...some type of midge I assume. Only got to to spend 45 minutes on the stream, but a great stop on the way home. Very much looking forward to this summer's fishing.

A couple pics...

Attach file:

jpg  06-16-11 001.jpg (34.42 KB)
5058_4dfaa667b99c1.jpg 423X317 px

jpg  06-16-11 002.jpg (31.38 KB)
5058_4dfaa67341a93.jpg 423X317 px

Posted on: 2011/6/16 20:57

Re: Warm Water Mix - Lebanon County
From Gettysburg
Some of my favorite fish there - yuh gotta love summer. :)

Posted on: 2011/6/16 21:57

From North Central PA
NICE!

Posted on: 2011/6/18 9:29

From Harrisburg
Dear swattie,

Dude I love "sunnies."

I live pretty close to the "Swattie" and I'd like to learn more about it as I have never fished it.

If you'd be interested in showing me around a bit or making a suggestion or two as to where to start exploring it on my own I'd appreciate it and I'll find a way to return the favor.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/6/18 9:38
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Pine Grove
Tim, a few of us have talked about a "Swattie Jam" in the past. I think in a week or so when I get my schedule for the next month I'm gonna post a date and see who's into it.

Boyer

Posted on: 2011/6/18 10:01

From lebanon, pa
see, are not panfish on the fly a good time?

i would certainly be into a flyfishing outting on the creek.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 11:10

Tim - Sure thing...either at a mini Swatara jam or otherwise. I know just about all of the stream from the state park on down. I'm still a bit of a greenhorn with the fly rod so just getting to fish with you would reciprocate well enough.

I'd certainly be in for a group get together on the Swattie as well. Weekends for me are pretty busy until mid July or so but settle down after that. I don't really like to float fish, but I'd be glad to show a wade group around and help portage the floaters with my truck.

Brian - Those sunnies are an absolute blast. I love to see that flash of orange on the line.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 13:05

From Mount Joy, PA
I'm also intrigued by the Swattie and would love to float it from my 'yak. I know there are some decent sized muskies in there as well. If a float doesn't work, I'd be in for some wade fishing. For being a local warmwater fishery, I'm under the impression that the Swattie has a lot to offer!

Posted on: 2011/6/18 16:59

From lebanon, pa
it does, just have to know where to look.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 17:16

From Harrisburg
Dear Matt,

OK you pick a date one weekend in July or August except when I'm down at the beach from 8/6 to 8/13 and I'll be there.

To swattie and Brain and everyone else, if you want to meet up sometime sooner let me know and I'll be there too.

I've driven past the Swatara dozens of times in search of other places to go. It's about time I discovered what's in my back yard.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/6/18 17:26
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From lebanon, pa
there is alot of access to this creek, and the fishing can be ok around them, but the really good stuff is away from the access.
some times it's just a matter of a few handful couple of yards other times its a boat ride or decent hike.
i'am eagerly awaiting both the weather and the creek to calm down.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 17:45

Tim, check your PM's...in case you wanted to get a head start on your learning curve for the Swattie. First time using the PM feature but I think I got it right. Let me know if it's not there.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 22:04

From Harrisburg
Dear swattie,

I got your PM thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to decide if I want to fish the Swatara today or give Shermans Creek a try?

I've never fished either of them but I've heard good things about both.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/6/19 7:38

Hope you get into them either way Tim. The Swatara is still borderline too high for my taste, but you should be ok if you're careful and stay out of the main channel. The creek used to serve as part of the Union Canal and in many locations there is still a very pronounced deeper channel on one side of the stream and shallower slack water on the other.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 9:25

The Swattie is a stone's throw from my house and I still haven't fished it. Need to float it one of these days.

What is a good 4-6 hours float for bass/muskie on the fly?

Posted on: 2011/6/20 22:19

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com