Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Walleye!!!!

From Ohio
Yesterday my brother and I decided to fish a localish river for some walleye and maybe a bonus pike or something. We mostly fished with spinning gear and had luck but overall the action was slow but consistant. The low water and plentiful sunshine probably didn't help.

Anyways the action slowed on spinning gear and I decided to get the fly rod out and give it a wirl before heading home. I'm glad I did! Within the first 10 minutes of fly fishing I landed this nice walleye on a black conehead bugger. About a half an hour after that I landed another which was a tad bit smaller. I've caught a handful of 'eyes in the past on the fly rod, but the two I caught yesterday were definitely my biggest on the fly and up there with my biggest on spinning gear. Even though I was using an 8wt both fish put up a great fight. Good way to end the day!!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/4/5 19:43

Re: Walleye!!!!
From Gettysburg
Neat!
This time of year is a good time to target walleyes as they are often easy to find stacked up at low head dams. They love a small, dark colored streamer stripped slowly just off the bottom.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 22:21

From Ferguson Twp.
Congrats, bet it was pretty cool catching walleyes with fly gear. Man they're good eating.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 22:44

From Ohio
I definitely had a blast catching them, they aren't the best fighters compared to other fish, but everything fights great on the fly rod. And too bad they weren't in season, wouldn't mind keeping one for dinner.

Quote:
This time of year is a good time to target walleyes as they are often easy to find stacked up at low head dams. They love a small, dark colored streamer stripped slowly just off the bottom.

This entire post couldn't be more true

Posted on: 2013/4/6 7:29

From Ohio
Nice! I never thought about targeting walleye with a fly rod.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 11:39

From Johnstown, PA
The only guy i knew who could consistently catch walleye on a fly rod was Bob Clouser Sr. and Bob i won't tell where.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 6:03

From Ohio
There's one place where I catch them consistantly(a small outflow of a lake), but most of them are dinks such as this one.

Resized Image

There's a few other places, including the place where I got the one in the original post, where I tend to catch them semi-consistantly on spinning gear(and a couple on the fly before) but I really want to target them on the fly more. Time of year plays a roll also though.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 17:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com