WTB Salt set-up

SNJChef

SNJChef

Can anyone recommend a beginner set-up for salt surf fishing mostly maybe back bay from time to time. Or selling a beginner set-up send me a pm. Thanks in advance.

I'd take a look at the import rods(Redintong, ECHO, TFO). Decide where you'll use and what you'll use it for to determine which weight you opt for. I'd probably stick with fast action rods. Then I'd get the best reel I could afford to match.

How much are you looking to spend ?

For surf fishing and back bay work, the conventional wisdom is a 9' for a 9WT matched with a intermediate WF line. Since you're thinking surf, I definitely would not go lower than a 9WT and if you think you'll mainly be working the surf, I'd recommend a 10WT.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking mainly jetty and surf fishing. Unless I decide to buy a skiff still debating this. Looking to spend around 250 to 300 range. Only ever try an orvis set up?

Call the owner of Coltonfly.com he might be able to accommodate your budget or at least lean you on were to go. Be ready for when you call him the man loves to talk fly fishing.

What your boat doesn't work in back bays? Too big?

Get an echo rod. Or TFO Axiom. Best cheap rods out there. Rods really matter in the surf.

haha Becker I was hitting bottom running out the inlet this morning, Sandy changed the bottom for sure. I bet a lot of boats will be getting stuck and or hitting things this summer. We saw a picnic table about 1 mile out when I was taking the boat out for a test run.

Back