Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

WTB - Muskie topwater flies

From Mount Joy, PA
I do tie, but don't tie muskie flies. I have a good selection of sub-surface flies, but am looking to add a few topwater flies to my arsenal. That being said, I'd like to purchase a few, but through my internet searches, haven't come up with much that piques my interest. I'm looking for a "Spongebob squarehead" or other type fly that causes a surface commotion. If anyone is interested in tying a few up, I'll gladly purchase them.

Thanks!

Posted on: 7/7 14:01

Re: WTB - Muskie topwater flies

From State College, PA
I've mentioned it a couple times on this site I believe, but the Pole Dancer topwater has been my go to fly for at least a couple seasons now. I bought mine already tied and I believe there was at least one store that sold kits to tie them. It wont be as loud as the Spongebob style but the walk the dog action gets em as fired up as I've seen. Its a great throw-back fly after getting a follow too.

Jay

Posted on: 7/8 10:50

From Mount Joy, PA
Thanks for the feedback. Since I haven't gotten much activity on this, maybe I'll just "bite the bullet" and tie some of them up!

Posted on: 7/8 14:31

From State College, PA
No problem man. If you're still thinking about purchasing, you can look up the Vermont Fly Guys. They do a little of everything for Pike and Musky. I've used a few of their streamer patterns and they rock. Very durable and catch fish, no doubt about it. 3 out of 4 of my first Musky this year were on a red/white pattern of theirs that they call the Maelstrom I believe.

Posted on: 7/8 15:27

From Mount Joy, PA
I picked up a DC 3/0 Dodger kit from Feathercraft. Looks like I'll be tying after all!

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php ... tion=display&target=TB056

Posted on: 7/8 17:53

From Ephrata, PA
Dude our FB talk yesterday about musky gave me very strange dreams...the one I remember most clearly is that in my dream, I spotted 2 musky in the Tully, east of Myerstown LOL! Try there hahahaha!

Posted on: 7/9 8:13

From Landisville
Do we have to start a WW tying night at Rick's? I could definitely use some more big bass flies! Does anyone want to float this coming Sunday?

Posted on: 7/9 9:24

From State College, PA
wgmiller,

Awesome man, that is the kit I was thinking of. That fly is very versatile too. Even if its worked below the surface, it still has good action and pushes a lot of water. Even though I've still only landed a few on this fly, I have had A LOT of chances. I actually run a stinger hook on mine too just in case its a short strike. The biggest issue for me is just gettin the crap scared out of me when a Musky blows up on the thing right next to the boat!!! LOL Good luck man.

Jay

Posted on: 7/9 10:59

From Mount Joy, PA
Thanks CPR. I like the simplicity of the "kit" and it may just spur me to start tying up some other musky flies as well. It's odd tying small trout flies and then switching gears to tying something like these big musky flies. But the musky flies aren't cheap, so it'll definitely save some $$$. I REALLY like the action of these flies when stripped, so I'm stoked to get them on the water. I agree that the simple act of seeing a musky is enough to get the heart racing, let alone a follow or strike.

Squatch - that would be funny!

Slay - I guess anything's possible! Buggers, clousers and poppper tying fest.

Posted on: 7/9 11:37

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
Thanks CPR. I like the simplicity of the "kit" and it may just spur me to start tying up some other musky flies as well. It's odd tying small trout flies and then switching gears to tying something like these big musky flies. But the musky flies aren't cheap, so it'll definitely save some $$$. I REALLY like the action of these flies when stripped, so I'm stoked to get them on the water. I agree that the simple act of seeing a musky is enough to get the heart racing, let alone a follow or strike.

Squatch - that would be funny!

Slay - I guess anything's possible! Buggers, clousers and poppper tying fest.

Yeah I woke up laughing! It was like two 40" shadows lingering at the bottom of a little spillway. I know exactly where I saw them in my dream hahahaha!

Posted on: 7/9 12:42

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
orange juice carton tops work for top water. great action.

Attach file:

jpg  DSCF2089 (800x600) (400x299).jpg (53.78 KB)
112_53be6aba821ff.jpg 400X299 px

jpg  DSCF2088 (800x600) (400x293).jpg (68.29 KB)
112_53be6ac515c58.jpg 400X293 px

Posted on: 7/10 6:28

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Mount Joy, PA
Well, I cranked out my first "D C Dodger" yesterday using the Feather Craft kit. Hook is a 3/0 Mustad hook I got at a local tackle shop. Try finding hooks bigger than #2 at a fly shop!

I'll fish it and see if I need to make any modifications, but I'm hopeful it performs as it should. Time to work the esox! Total fly length is about 6.5" and I used "Fishhair" for the tailing material.

Resized Image

Posted on: 7/27 13:55

From "THE VILLE"
About the only fly shop in PA with 2/0 hooks and up is Jim's Sportcenter. It's the closest thing to a full service fly shop in the state. He carries partridge an dia rikkis phone is # is 765-3582 ask for Terry.

Posted on: 7/27 15:33
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
There's another that has 2/0 and larger

Posted on: 7/27 20:03

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From "THE VILLE"
I ment to say full service musky fly shop.

Posted on: 7/28 5:46
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com