Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Twenty-two things I learned on 12/22, my last trip to the beach and first with a fly rod.

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
standing in the wash ? that's where the fish are !

Posted on: 12/27 7:44

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Re: Twenty-two things I learned on 12/22, my last trip to the beach and first with a fly rod.

From West Chester,PA
I can tell it's too cold to fish. :)

Posted on: 12/27 10:53

Bass pro bought cabelas not the other way around.

Posted on: 12/27 10:56

I have never returned anything- but came close to returning some milk to Walmart today[not sour but stinky]..I dumped it-never have taken anything back--does that mean I'm a nice guy,coward or just lazy?Ponder time..

Posted on: 12/27 11:48

From Morgantown, PA
I'm fine with folks taking stuff back for a refund under a "satisfaction guarantee" as long as they legitimately weren't satisfied by the product, within reason. That leaves some room for the fact that some people are harder to satisfy than others. And that's ok...that's part of having a satisfaction guarantee offered on your products. That being said, the stuff afish mentioned is bologna.

In terms of FFing gear, I remember two significant returns that I've made. Both Cabelas house line products. One was a pair of waders that leaked on their initial suit-up due to a clear defective seam. Exchanged, no questions asked, no problem. The second was a $200 range Cabelas branded rod that shattered under very little load while attempting to string it up. I think I had the rod for about 2 years when this happened. In that case I felt that 2 years of use (maybe 20 outings) for a $200 rod was not enough for me to feel satisfied with the purchase. They weren't happy about honoring a refund, and we eventually "compromised" on a $75 store credit. I still shop at Cabelas at essentially the same rate I did before, FWIW. I buy some stuff there, but not necessarily a ton. Though I haven't bought one of their rods since.

I've never taken Bean up on their guarantee. I've owned and really like their waders. They all eventually leaked, but after a couple years of rough use. I felt like I got my reasonable money's worth out of them. I will say, that every time I buy a new pair of Bean Waders...every couple of years or so, they have increased in price. Could probably make a case that everything has gone up in price, but I do think Bean waders are outpacing inflation. Not sure if excessive and unreasonable returns have a hand in that or not, but it's certainly plausible.

Posted on: 12/27 14:30

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

Nymph-wristed wrote:

6. Simms and Patagonia are $499.99 but when one fishes 100+ times in a year, they may be a necessary investment.

You can pay the money and have dry waders for 4 or 5 years (or more) before they start to leak irreparably.

Or you can buy whichever crummy cheap ones have a fantastic warranty and be damp for part of every year or every other year you own them.

Posted on: 12/28 6:41

From Delaware Co.
I like the Rio out bound lines , I buy a intermediate running line and use outbound short shooting heads with different sink rates it will save you the trouble of buying and changing out reel spools.

I have taken back my fair share of bootfoot waders when they are leaking at the seams or the sole comes of the boot. If I'm paying good money for waders I expect to get at least three years from them without factory defects. Now if I poke holes in them some way then I will just repair them myself and not attempt to get a refund.

Posted on: 12/28 7:34

From SEPA
Good debate, fellas, and sorry for having the Cabela's/Bass Pro reversed, but the point is despite image/marketing they are all big box corporations looking to make mad profits (either for the family or shareholders). My point about Linda Bean is not that she shouldn't support Trump who is good for her business; it's the point that they want it both ways. Despite fishing 100+ times a year, I work too hard to keep sour milk or waders that leak in 6 months. Just brain dumping at the time (and now), and I don't claim to have it all figured out. I see Swattie's point, too, (and did at the time of our original debate about this) but it also fits my narrative that they are pricing the many to please the few like me, and it's all marketing and branding unless more than a handful of unpleased consumers take them at their word and return products with which they are unsatisfied.

If you are keeping sour milk, that does require some soul searching, and you need to talk to my wife. That is just not right! If she buys a bag chips and they don't taste right to her, they go back. She's known like Norm! at all the service desks. If you feel you are right, it only takes a few times to get over the embarrassment of returning a shoddy product. I think they want me to feel embarrassed, cheap, and low for exercising my side of the bargain. Go figure, I find that salespeople making 8 bucks an hour are usually on my side with this.....

To Bean's credit, they do phase out crappy product lines based on the number of returns and consumer feedback. They end up in the Sales pages (buyer beware).

Posted on: 12/28 9:39

From SEPA
Quote:

Dave_W wrote:
Quote:

Nymph-wristed wrote:
Any advice on a good coldwater, saltwater line?

The salt - and surf and jetty fishing in particular - is just brutal on fishing gear compared to the typical freshwater fishing so many FFers are accustomed to.

In addition to the stripping basket and bigger rods you've taken note of....I strongly recommend you get set-up with a fast sink shooting head. The main reason is wind. A double hauled SH will enable you to really punch into wind. In surf fishing, precise casting is of little importance - what you want is distance and a SH will shoot well and buck the everpresent wind. A fast sink head will not fish poppers (it can work if the fish are right in the wash and you're hardly casting) but I don't FF much at the beach with poppers and prefer to get down fast. The current along the surf can be very strong and a fast sink SH gets out far and gets down fast, where you want your fly.

My experience fishing the surf really improved when I started using big, fast sink shooting heads. I use the same one regardless of water temp (can't remember the brand or grain weight as I've cut it up and modified it, like much of my equipment). It does help a lot if you take some time before walking out to the beach to manually stretch your running line. Really, don't scrimp on this chore. A streched running line will perform much better and tangle less in the stripping basket.

Thanks, Dave. That makes sense. Unless there is a blitz happening, I rarely catch a fish on the surface, so I am definitely better served with sink tip.

Posted on: 12/28 9:51

From SEPA
Quote:

AFISHN wrote:
I can tell it's too cold to fish. :)

I know! I don't mind cold, but this is not fishing weather. Maybe I need to take the boy snow tubing to get out of the house and near woods or something?

Happy New Year!

Posted on: 12/28 9:52

Ice fishing with fly rods and 6/0 streamers really an in thing now-go get them guys-me-Florida bound and veranda sitting,remembering all the fine trips I had when I wasn't so sissified.. and you get to forget the bah trips..but never forget driving 60 miles to night fish the Madison,on second cast burning the amnesia running line with cigar- longest cast of my life-had no spares so 60 miles back home...why do those things seem so funny,35 years later ?

Posted on: 12/28 11:25

From Flourtown, PA
You need a fast action 10wt for NJ in fall. A 9wt is a half-measure.

Whatever coldwater line you get, get an extra spool and spool up with 30# Trilene Big Game and a 450g shooting head. Now it doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing.

Make a stripping basket out of a dishpan, a wading belt, and either a mass-produced cone mold (that you screw or zip-tie to the basket), or some weedeater line spikes to stick through the bottom).

Better waders. Get the Patagonia (better customer service) with the knee pads. Get spikes for your boots.

Fish more jetties. You can only cast so far into the open ocean. Get on a jetty. You can reach the fish that concentrate in the rocks. The only time you'll see me fishing open beach is if I see fish or know there is a metric ton of bait with fish just on the other side of the bar. Tie flies on circle hooks--they won't get hung in the jetty rocks. Get them down in there and get the fish that are holding.

I should follow this advice more often, myself--this was basically my plan every time I went out back when I used to catch a lot of stripers on the fly rod from shore. You can start fishing like this as early as late May some years and fish all the way through summer and fall.

Posted on: 12/28 11:55

From Chester County
Here's a good article to read about using sinking lines for SW fishing......oh, and they did mention stripping baskets, too...

Posted on: 12/29 9:27

From Delaware Co.
I went out for albies this fall and forgot my basket it made for a interesting outing

Posted on: 12/29 14:15

From SEPA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Here's a good article to read about using sinking lines for SW fishing......oh, and they did mention stripping baskets, too...

Your boy Ron K says that article is shite... Thanks for sending along my info to him, afish. I know enough to already know he knows his stuff about the surf. I will def pick his brain this upcoming year.

Thanks, again!

Posted on: 12/31 13:35

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Do You Have or Will You Obtain Multiple State Fishing License’s for 2018?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2018/7/20 10:51
4 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com