Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Trouble Casting Large Flies

From Fairmont, WV
Get a heavier rod, some 400-450 grain line. My casting mechanics are probably not the best, but I figured out what I needed to do to get my fly out there. 25 yards is pretty short for a deer rifle, pretty decent for a musky fly cast. Most of my casts are probably not even that far. I don't care, or think that it matters much. A full day of fishing from a boat and you have covered a lot of water, regardless of a 60 or 75 or 100 foot cast. 3/4 of all the takes I have are within 15' of the boat anyway. I also don't false cast much, one forward and one back and then let it rip. If I can I get the wind to my back and let it do some of the work for me.

I disagree on the big rapala statement. The action from a well tied and fished musky fly is extremely hard to reproduce with any gear. I see a lot of gear thrown side by side with flies for these fish. I can't say that the gear guys move more fish than the fly guys. Opposite seems true from my experience.

Posted on: 10/17 14:19

From Northern VA
TygartMusky what length flies do you typically use? I've been getting into musky fishing myself. Moved one on the upper potomac this weekend, spooked at the boat.

Posted on: 10/17 14:34

From Fairmont, WV
I change it up a lot. I have really been turned on by these dragon tails, wiggle tails, etc. It really helps extend the profile of the fly, gives it some awesome action. The fish seem to be responding to it as well, although this time of year helps that too. A lot of people gripe about using bunny strips, saying they get heavy, etc. I really like them too. It is as much the aerodynamics of a big fly that makes it tough to cast as it is the weight.

Posted on: 10/17 16:48

From Northern VA
Thanks for the reply, I was mainly curious if you buy into the bigger flies being best, it sounds like you do. Some well respected musky anglers have been going the opposite direction and saying that 7-8" flies get eaten more often. And the conventional gear guys catch them on bass lures occasionally. I'm not sure how much difference it makes because it probably just comes down to finding a fish that is hungry.

Posted on: 10/25 12:12

From Schwenksville
One thing about going smaller- it gives you a better chance of catching something. After hours of casting, catching anything is a welcomed surprise. While out yesterday I started with my typical musky fly which is about 10"-11". After seeing a few bigger bass I decided to downsize my fly to about 6" in hopes of getting a good smallie. After a few casts with the smaller fly, I caught a 20" pickerel. Not the toothy I was after but a pleasant surprise.
A guide we met in Wisconsin believes in the smaller fly theory as well. He said something to the effect of " You don't always want to eat a T-Bone steak but you'll always have room for a snickers" . It makes sense but I'll still like to throw the T-Bones, this time of year especially.

Posted on: 10/26 9:05

From Fairmont, WV
Most of the flies I use are between 8-14" all stretched out, with the longer being more productive recently. It could very well be the time of year(big meals mean big net calories), or that I have stumbled blindly into tying a fly pattern that they react really well to.

This Musky/Pike fly fishing thing is a game of "grueling patience" at times, and confidence in a fly helps a lot. I get a follow or eat early, and I am gonna cast the same fly all day. No action, and I start switching things up, probably to a fault. I think a lot of guys are like that though, even gear guys. If your have the set up for something big/heavy/not aerodynamic, then chuck it and try it. You start to wear out, or you aren't getting any results, change it up.

Posted on: 10/26 13:59

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com