Trophy Striper Caught by Bob Popovics

F

Fishidiot

While giant "cow" stripers are caught pretty regularly from the beach by plug and bait fishermen, it's actually pretty rare for a fly fishermen to catch these fish. Of course it does happen, guys like Ed Mitchell, Lou tabory, or Bob Popovics can certainly nail 'em....but if you spend enough time at the shore with the long rod, esp when fishing in the company of bait and spin guys, you know that FFers really have to work for big fish. This is especially true from the beach.
Anyway, here's a photo of fly tying innovator and Jersey shore legend Bob Popovics with a recently caught cow that weighed over thirty pounds - and yes, obviously caught from the beach. For many of us, this would be the fly caught bass of a lifetime. Maybe not for Bob, but I'm sure he's right proud of it.

Photo courtesy of:
http://shorecatch.com/wp/

Attachments

• BOBPOP1.jpg
    BOBPOP1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 6
Man, that looks like a blast.. plus having to contend the surf to land it.

Hey, that guys name is on my St Croix rod. In fact it looks like he may be using the same rod. With slightly better results.

Hopefully I will be in a pic holding a fish like that some day :-D

I also would be thrilled to catch one.

Maybe next year instead of multiple trips to Erie I will hit the beach.

Anyone know how this seasons Blue and Striper runs stackup historically in terms of angling success?

Not sure why many guys in the east dont take more advantage of the salt fishing- seems pretty close by. Heck, if you feel lazy, you can park your vehicle in many areas right on the beach.

Because while a fly rod is used, it's not the same fly fishing to me. It's salt water fly fishing. About as similar as spin fishing and fly fishing for trout.

While I am interested as hell in it, it strikes me as a totally different breed of angling, and basically requires tons of new research, gear, and tactics. Too much work for me up to this point. Hopefully next year!

J- yea, got ya.

Several times I thought about the different fly rods and gear for the different types of fishing.

Specifically, a fly anglers rod progression. Understand that an angler would be heavily influenced into speciifc types of gear by their mentors and or how they broke into the sport or the types of water readily accessible to them.

Was influenced by strictly trout fly anglers; hence the St Croix 5/6 weight as my first rod. I am sure those close to the shore might have a 8 or 9 weight as their first fly pole or a 7 or 8 for those in steelhead territory.

My progression was probably like many others.

Got the all around rod, then a small rod for small streams, next was a 6 wt for streamers and smallmouths. Moved on to an 8 wt for steelhead/salt rod- this has turned out to be a very versatile fly rod for me.

Like to chase new experiences and the excitment, challenge and fun that comes with it. Got plenty to learn.

Well if you guys would go with me all you would have to do is cast and strip your fly in all day . For the most part it is easy fishing but its takes a little more muscle because of the heavier gear . Just work on you double haul and you should be fine.

jdaddy wrote:
Hey, that guys name is on my St Croix rod. In fact it looks like he may be using the same rod. With slightly better results.

Have you ever used that rod were it was made for ?

been there with bob when those bigun's are in. I fished a 10 wt. for them or my 12 wt. big flies for big fish..

Frederick
I will take you up on that this year. What licenses do you need this year for NJ?

Thanks

Rick

Fredrick wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

Have you ever used that rod were it was made for ?

Nope. Bought it for Salmon on Ontario. I plan on giving it plenty of salt exposure this year.

I'd let you try it but it has Sharkskin on it too.

RickinPa wrote:
Frederick
I will take you up on that this year. What licenses do you need this year for NJ?

Thanks

Rick

No problem but my engine threw a rod or something last night trying to get unstuck in the snow so If I get another car or have mine fixed by spring than sure all are invited . All you need to do is register with NOAA its like 15 bucs but it is good for all salt waters

PS Jdaddy there is nothing special about sharkskin line besides the noise it makes if it gave you more distance than all the casting torny guys would be using it exclusively

?-don't the all the casting torny guys use the special lines just for that ....

http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2010/05/rio-releases-new-tournament-fl.html

Anyone can buy them but Sci anglers even has one and its not sharkskin http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines/mastery-fly-lines/expert-distance.html

are they fishable - i always thought no.

Closest I got to getting one is using a sage TCR line (big heavy head).

The Expert distance lines just have a longer belly so you can carry more line in the air because your running line doesn't have enough weight to it to keep the line in the air. Yes you can fish with it the longer belly helps in mending also most stealhead tapers are just about the same as the EXD lines :-D

Fredrick wrote:

PS Jdaddy there is nothing special about sharkskin line besides the noise it makes if it gave you more distance than all the casting torny guys would be using it exclusively

There is more to life (and fly fishing/lines) than throwing a line 100 feet.

jdaddy wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

There is more to life (and fly fishing/lines) than throwing a line 100 feet.

Your right its all about how noisy you can be trying to do it .

So Fred, you gonna set up a Salt Jam?

Back