« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 38 »

Re: Toothy Critter Success Thread

Nice fish!

Posted on: 2013/7/21 20:58

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From lower burrell, pa
Crawdad I was out on Moraine yesterday for bass, started with the fly rod went to spin gear later. Anyhow, when dropping my boat off ran into a guy that landed a 51 inch musky early in the am, not on flyrod. I haven't targeted them yet with a flyrod but would like to. Was wondering if there would be interest in setting up a mini musky jam at Moraine, I would think some of the Western Pa. guys would be up for it. Norm

Posted on: 2013/7/22 9:40

There is a ton of interest in the fly fishing world right now about catching muskies, and it's great to see that people are putting in the time to actually catch them. I have to say though, that it really bothers me to see fish being mishandled.

In this thread alone, there are pics of muskies that have been rolled in gravel and clearly not handled appropriately. I don't fault anyone for wanting a picture of a fish they worked so hard to catch, but the well being of the fish should be priority #1 when they are brought to hand.

I have to ask (beg) that if you are going to do this, go about it the right way. Get jaw spreaders and long nose pliers (you will need them), leave the fish alone when water temps are high (above 80) and they have a very hard time recovering, hold them correctly, and keep them in the water if you are going to photo them. They may look big and tough, but in reality, they aren't. It takes a long time to grow a 40" musky, and it would be a shame to see one go belly up over something thats avoidable.

I don't want to start an argument (though I probably will), but with all the interest in fly fishing for muskies, I think it needed to be said.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 12:38

Quote:

inthedrift wrote:
There is a ton of interest in the fly fishing world right now about catching muskies, and it's great to see that people are putting in the time to actually catch them. I have to say though, that it really bothers me to see fish being mishandled.

In this thread alone, there are pics of muskies that have been rolled in gravel and clearly not handled appropriately. I don't fault anyone for wanting a picture of a fish they worked so hard to catch, but the well being of the fish should be priority #1 when they are brought to hand.

I have to ask (beg) that if you are going to do this, go about it the right way. Get jaw spreaders and long nose pliers (you will need them), leave the fish alone when water temps are high (above 80) and they have a very hard time recovering, hold them correctly, and keep them in the water if you are going to photo them. They may look big and tough, but in reality, they aren't. It takes a long time to grow a 40" musky, and it would be a shame to see one go belly up over something thats avoidable.

I don't want to start an argument (though I probably will), but with all the interest in fly fishing for muskies, I think it needed to be said.

+1

I never realized how fragile they are until recently. I knew about keeping them in the water and not letting their slime rub off (similar to trout), but I wasn't aware 80 degrees was the cut off temp. I guess it should've been common sense.

Is netting them with one of those musky net/baskets (not sure what theyre called) hard? It seems like it would be tough

Posted on: 2013/7/23 8:23

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From "THE VILLE"
Guys please don't use bogas to lift and weight fish. These animals can be very violent. And will tear a boga loose from there lip. A lotta people are intimidated by these fish when dealing with the bisness end of em. With the right tools there are easy to handle.

What boga damage looks like
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/23 9:23
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Philly
Quote:

TLoomis wrote:
Is netting them with one of those musky net/baskets (not sure what theyre called) hard? It seems like it would be tough

I'm guessing you're talking about a cradle?

I haven't used one personally so take this for what its worth...I've read they take some practice getting used to the motion (i figured this much). But I've also heard its impossible to use one without a fishing partner (makes sense assuming you still have a rod in your hand). I imagine it's even tougher on a boat when someone is responsible for controlling the boat at the same time.

At any rate, some guys swear by them...if you can make the setup work, I'd say give it a shot.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 9:36

Quote:

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Guys please don't use bogas to lift and weight fish. These animals can be very violent. And will tear a boga loose from there lip. A lotta people are intimidated by these fish when dealing with the bisness end of em. With the right tools there are easy to handle.

better off jamming fingers in gill plates and dragging them around on dry grass.... right?

Posted on: 2013/7/23 11:22

From Delaware Co.
I like using theseFish Grip

Posted on: 2013/7/23 12:58

From "THE VILLE"
Well Slum, I guess your a boga user? I don't think that if you use a boga to control the fishs head boat side is bad. As long as the fish is in the water. When its used to lift and support the fish that's were my concerns are. Essox world has alotta article on there uses pros and cons.
Resized Image

Resized Image

I don't believe in gilling a pike or musky theres no need Ive also bin really lucky having buddys help with some deep hooked fish. So ya think that laying a fish on grass to get a fly out of the back of the mouth is wrong? Well ya only have two hands cant hold the fish, jaw spreaders and a hook out at the same time.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 17:26
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Butler
Well, I don't have a boat, so no dice there, I don't have big enough net, not to mention carrying one that big while wading would be interesting to say the least, oh the one time I used boga's was one of the few times I was actually with a friend fishing for pike and I was helping him land it, the fish shook a ton and the boga ripped the lower soft connective stuff in the lip. I stopped using them then. Oh and use and 8wt which is probably to light in some people's opinions.

In my defense, I take fast as pictures, this fish was in and out and back in the water in 2 minutes. The fish didn't take long to revive and swam away no problems no belly up, no laying on the side. I appreciate the comments and concerns and do handle fish the best I can and keep the time out of water to the minimum as well. I can't please everyone.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 8:58

You did a fine job Crawdad. Hey, atleast you got to handle one!

I'm real good at keeping them safe because I never catch em, just get follows hahaha.

I'm going to back off of them until the water temp gets under 80. It was 82 at my other musky lake, which is better than 93, but I did not have any takers. Fished it on the full moon with a "cold" front, during sun rise/moon set, and still nothing.

Putting the time in, that's for sure. My musky log is starting to fill up

Posted on: 2013/7/24 11:09

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From lower burrell, pa
Anyone know a good online musky fly source? Been looking haven't found much. Thx Norm

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:56

Norm,

Check this out. I know Moose (nick) personally. We grew up together playing hockey, and now we musky fish all the time. He ties one hell of a fly, and I can garauntee they will last for more than one fish.

http://moosersmuskyfliesmmf.weebly.com/

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:06

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Found this place just searching around.

http://greatlakesfly.com/catalog/c21_p1.html

Might just ask some of the "pros" on here to tie you up a few. They're going to be a bit pricey because of using a lot of material and taking a while to tie.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:10

From lower burrell, pa
Thanks guys I searched a little more and found both of those. Ryan we need to fish again soon. TLoomis thanks

Posted on: 2013/7/24 15:27

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 38 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com