Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 35 36 37 (38) 39 40 »

Re: Toothy Critter Success Thread

From State College, PA
Crawdad,

Oh man, those definitely hurt. It sucks to lose any, let alone a beast like that.

I'm certainly no expert, but a couple things I did over the last few years have REALLY helped my hookup/in the net ration. My first issue was really getting used to the strip strike hookset. That tortured me for the first couple of years because I had been fishing only trout for about 20yrs before the Toothy addiction. The Tarpon/saltwater guys really have this down.

Another HUGE help for me has been sharpening my hooks regularly throughout the day after any fish/snags. I think both of these things have helped tremendously.

Yep, a 10wt might help you out too. Sometimes though, you do everything right and still don't get the fish in. My hookup ratio over the last couple of years was ridiculously high. However, this year I am running at about 25% so far. LOL Sometimes we have their number, and sometimes they have ours I guess. Good luck man, I'm sure you'll get em.

Jay

Posted on: 6/19 9:39

From Butler
@Tloomis, I agree with you two areas my 8wt holds back, hook setting on large fish and turning a running fish with side pressure. In regards to the disc issues, the cast isn't the problem, wading is a slow business for me now, I can't slip or twist or try to catch myself, all of those activites hurt a lot, if I flat out fell I don't want to know how that would feel. I'm only 31 but now I wade like an old man. Lol. Can't keep me away from the Muskie during prime conditions for very long. You know how it is.

@Jay, I did buy cheap hooks, that is a little bit of a limiting factor, however I feel like I could sharpen them a little more then the factory, what do you use to sharpen them? Just a metal file? I feel like I have the strip set down, however I will watch a bunch of tarpon videos on YouTube though to see how I can improve. I agree with you to I felt like I had an awesome hook set, but a fish that big and lots of head shaking will loose hooks. I can think of plenty of smallmouth that on spinning gear that I hammered crank baits home and still ended up seeing my lure coming back at me.

Best part I know that fish is in my favorite fishing hole. :)

Posted on: 6/20 22:06

I haven't posted in a while since I slowed down musky FFing. Wading the lake this time of year is miserable with all the traffic, and I started focusing more on trout. I went out today with my father on his boat he just finished remodeling and finally saw a musky while musky fishing. I got 3 follows and 3 takes all in about 15 minutes. I think 2 of the takes were from the same fish. Unfortunately I couldn't get out if my trout habits. I got excited and yanked the fly out of the fishes mouth all 3 times lol. Fish were small but it was still exciting. I was throwing a pink hang time double that I posted in the tying thread a while back. Today just lit my fire for musky fishing again!

Posted on: 6/20 22:45

From Butler
Congrats..that's a good day chasing musky..days like that grab ya. All you think about fishing is musky until you land one...then that's what you think about. Musky. Once you land one everything clicks. Keep up the good work.

Posted on: 6/23 0:37

Thanks Crawdad. Musky have definitely been dominating what I've been thinking and dreaming about. I can't wait to get back out there. Time to start tying again, pink is my new favorite color.
Sorry to hear about your back issues. I know what your going through I had surgery to correct a disc issue last year. It slowed down my fishing quite a bit and made things a little tough.

Posted on: 6/23 8:39

From State College, PA
Crawdad,

I've been using the Luhr Jensen Hook file that a lot of tackle shops have. I'm sure there are many file type sharpeners that will work for ya. Those seem to do the job for me rather well, so I make sure I always have a spare with me too. It definitely seems to help me out, especially when a fish hits close and I don't have much room for a good strip strike.

Also, on the flies that I have tied, I've been using the Gamakatsu Spinnerbait bait hooks. They are strong and hold a good edge.

Posted on: 6/26 10:39

From Ohio
They may not be pike or muskie, but they have tons of razor sharp teeth hidden beneath their gums! Mean fish. Had my best day ever fly fishing for them Saturday evening. Between my brother and I we must have hooked into 10 or so on the fly. Lots of fun.....even the smaller 17-18 inchers put up a great fight with the 8wt.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Also saw what appeared to be a bunch of small grass pickerel just hanging out in some shallow, flooded areas. They were pretty spooky as every time we'd walk near the bank they'd dart away. Tried everything from small streamers to tiny dries and couldn't get as much as a follow. Tough little buggers.

Resized Image

Posted on: 7/1 10:31

From Butler
Nice Bowfin there sir. Yesterday evening I managed to raise two fish and a buddy raised 2, couldn't convert them though, even had one good fish follow around and around on the 8. Not a bad night

Posted on: 7/6 2:03

From Ohio
Anybody catching anything??????

I had a musky follow this afternoon but he didn't commit. Did get this guy though which had some serious teeth!!

Resized Image

Posted on: 7/31 22:14

From "THE VILLE"
It's been a ruff summer for me. I've fished alotta new water and have switched tactics up. Alotta follows but the tuff times make the 5 min a chaos when ya hook 1 that much sweeter. I've got 1 more musky tourney to fish this year on my home water of Curwensville lake. It's sponsored by the Nittany Valley Musky Alliance chapter 64 of Musky inc.
Resized Image

Posted on: 7/31 22:51
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From State College, PA
My brother and I landed 6 (5 on the fly) up in NY for their opening weekend in June. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get back out since. Its driving me crazy not being on the water. Hopefully back at em in the near future. Good luck to everyone who is lucky enough to be getting out.

Jay

Posted on: 8/5 10:35

From "THE VILLE"
The musky "Tiger Hunt" at Curwenville dam is Sept 20 & 21. I'll post up the details tomorrow after chapter meeting.

Posted on: 8/6 14:59
same.”

From Butler
I've been out three times around this moonphase and didn't even get a single follow. WTF. I'm getting beat up this year. This was the first time(s) I've been out where I didn't raise fish. Anyone catching or raising fish?

Posted on: 8/15 15:17

From "THE VILLE"
Getting beat up is the name of the game. Just weathering the storm to the next fish is what it's about. Success is a follow, working a fish in the 8, figuring a out a tactic, Sh!t being motivated to just get out and do it knowing the reality of what your trying to pull off. If it's all about hooking up you missing the best part the journey getting there.

Posted on: 8/15 22:06
same.”

From West Chester
After two years of fishing for them I finally got one this morning around 6am. Hit like a freight train. Is this a purebred or tiger? Didn't get a measurement but i think it was close to 40.

Attach file:

jpg  2014-08-025.jpg (89.29 KB)
8091_53fa1821b978a.jpg 480X307 px

Posted on: 8/24 12:52

« 1 ... 35 36 37 (38) 39 40 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com