HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 32 33 ... 38 »

Re: Toothy Critter Success Thread

From SEPA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
I just started musky fishing last year but I must be outside of the normal distribution curve. It's not a punishment at all. Get in a boat, drift and look for obvious holding areas. I never find myself pouring my mind, body and soul into it, rather I find it relaxing to scout out spots where I know fish should hold, often spotting them and then and only then the pressure is on to get the right shot in there. Typically we have a fish on in those prime areas. These are very aggressive fish if you approach them correctly and think about what they want. Predator/prey. Hunter/hunted. Rarely do we get into figure 8 "please eat this" situations. I think those folks who find themselves there simply cast to the fish instead of well above them. It's honestly almost as easy as finding a rising trout and presenting well. Think like a predator.

Obviously, you're doing it all wrong.

You didn't make it sound arduous, there was no descriptives about how much of your mind and soul you pour into it, no chicken blood, or kowtowing to totem fish spirits.

I'm afraid you're going to need to watch a few more terrible movies and read some more of these threads to properly inspire me to understand what a difficult and consuming quarry you're trying to vanquish or some such nonsense.

I'm just not impressed, Jdaddy. No, sir.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 16:23

From Gettysburg
Quote:

gfen wrote:
I'm just not impressed, Jdaddy. No, sir.

Ah Gfen.......you need to go chuck some giant flies on a cold river. Pray to the gods, hurt your arms.
You'll get the religion my friend.......you just gotta believe.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 16:45

From Butler
Ohhhhhh...gotta love some good ole fashioned sarcasm...

Posted on: 2013/11/10 17:38

From Lancaster, Pa
Anyone having any toothy critter luck in Lancaster or York county?
I would love a good starter spot for this toothy critter newbie...

Posted on: 2013/11/24 8:02

From Mount Joy, PA
I was fishing the Susky, but an upstream source (Raystown perhaps?) has increased the flow to over 16,000 cfs, so wading is off the table right now.

As far as where to look in this area, start with the Conestoga River and Swatara Creek from Middletown to Hummelstown. You've gotta cover water looking for them or find their 'holes'. Lots of water to cover and most of it is not where they'll be holding.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 8:09

From Gettysburg
Quote:

JVenezia wrote:

Lake Marburg in York Co has really turned on as a muskie hot spot in recent years as stocking has been increased. This summer a 51" fish was caught and released. Keep in mind, that this is a deep, cold lake and FFing for toothies during the summer months is likely going to be a wasted effort. The big fish from that lake are traditionally targeted by anglers trolling conventional gear. However, during the springtime, mainly in April, fish are in shallow and a fly rod might get a strike. It's also a good pike lake too, although my efforts to get a pike or muskie there this spring did not produce. You really need to put in your time.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 8:51

From Lancaster, Pa
Anyone ever try Long Level dam on Pequea river?

Posted on: 2013/11/25 15:10

From Hanover, PA
Quote:

JVenezia wrote:
I would love a good starter spot for this toothy critter newbie...

The Conewago Creek is worth checking out. Harmony Grove road to where it dumps in the Susquehanna contains musky. It does not see a whole lot of pressure.

Long Arm dam has a good pike population. Spring and Fall they turn on pretty good.

As Fishidiot said Marburg is pointless to fish shallow other than a small window in early spring. Those fish are deep 95% of their life. The two biggest fish from the lake this year were caught trolling deep. 51.5" in July and a girthy 48" came out 3 weeks ago. There was a nice one caught early spring by a bass fisherman casting in about 8' of water.

Posted on: 12/6 7:38

Got out on the boat the other day during that morning snow storm we had here in SEPA. We had one hookup, but just like they say, it happens when you least expect it. Checking the time on the cellphone and a big girl decides to take a swipe on my buddy's fly. Had it on for a few seconds but didnt get a good strip set in time...oh well theres always NEXT TIME....

Posted on: 12/31 1:12

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

Guys I have started a PA predator fly fishing blog. Go check it out.
Keystone Predator Flyfishing

Posted on: 2/1 21:54

From Lancaster, Pa
Wondering where you guys buy your pike and musky flies? I will need a starter kit for this summer and not sure where to get them reasonably priced.

Posted on: 2/2 7:22

From lower burrell, pa
Great Lakes Fly
Mooser's Musky Flies

Posted on: 2/2 7:26

JVenezia I tie all my own flies

Posted on: 2/2 8:34

From Butler
I'm with TD.. I've never purchased one. As ugly as mine are they catch fish. Musky flies are stupid expensive.

Posted on: 2/2 22:15

Is anyone near SEPA trying to meet up and do some musky fishing sometime between March 9-15? (next week). I will be home from school then, and am dying to get out somewhere. I live outside of West Chester, but I am willing to drive under 2 hours (unless you twist my arm haha). I can give you some $ or beer for taking me out on your boat too. I fish out of a 1980s bayliner bowrider with two trolling motors so I'm limited to lakes and it looks like everything is going to be iced up still. I've got all the gear, flies, and I can cast

Shoot me a PM!

Posted on: 3/3 16:04

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 32 33 ... 38 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com