Toothies, 2016

sarce

sarce

How are people doing with the big toothy critters this year? I haven't seen many posts since the 2015 thread so thought I'd start another.

Which also means that I have some success of my own to report. A friend invited me to fish the Allegheny River last weekend, and using some borrowed musky gear I was able to land a nice pike! Lots of credit goes to the guys who had the boats and gear and knowledge - I absorbed some of it and it paid off.

Anyone want to take a guess on the length? We didn't do a measurement, wanted a quick release after photo. Fishing partner give it a quick look and said 25 but I think it's closer to 30 than 25. Either way, I had a goal this year to catch a fish over 24" on a fly, and this one means mission accomplished!

Also caught my PB smallie the next morning. 18.5" and ate a 10" long fly.

Attachments

• first pike_copy.JPG
    first pike_copy.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 8
  • face_copy.JPG
    face_copy.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 4
  • bycatch_copy.JPG
    bycatch_copy.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 3
Nice job! Agree that toothy reports have been sparse this year and I'll admit to having no luck when I've tried (which hasn't been much) this year. The next three months, however, are prime time for river toothies so we still have time to get on the scoreboard.

I'd guess that pike to be mid to upper 20's - a very decent fish for PA.

And congrats on the big bass. River smallies will often crush muskie flies/lures and can keep your rod bent and motivation up during long periods of throwing for toothies.

I've got (2) from PA and (4) from Wisconsin so far this year. It's been too warm to fish for them the last 3 months so I'm quite anxious for the cooler weather to get here. I'm hoping to add at least (2) more to the yearly total before things get too icy.

Btw- tomorrow is full moon with the moon rise occurring around 7:30pm. Would be a good night to get out after them if you have cool enough water nearby.

step 1 - get a buddy with a boat
step 2 - let him put you on the fish
step 3 - buy him beers

Only fished them a couple times this year (with conventional gear) and got one at 36" ski... I don't really fly fish for toothies, or many other warm water species honestly, but enjoy this forum as its a great group of likeminded PA anglers.

Haven't musky fished since June b/c of the heat but plan to get back after them soon if these cool night continue to do their trick... A little precipitation would be nice also. Fly-flinger I'm like you--hoping to add another one or two before we ice up.

That sounds about right govtmule

Sarce,
Have you fished for them in either the New or James Rivers? I have a project in Falls Church that requires me to be there every other week and am thinking about heading down to one of those rivers next month to check them out. I really don't know much about them and would consider getting a guide for a day but would also like to wade around some to see if I could get one on my own. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any info.
Thanks.

New fish entry for toothies :p Cant wait till I cant another one

Attachments

• Snakehead.jpg
    Snakehead.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 3
Got a 37" pure on the fly, and the 27" tiger on spinning tackle in the spring, made it out maybe twice after that before the temps cooked my efforts. It's going to be a balancing act for time in the archery woods and musky water this fall!

I have had some missed opportunities this season. I managed connected on a tiger at the Muskies inc. tiger hunt at Curwensville dam a couple of weeks back. She ate on a yellow red and black Buford burning through the weedbeeds.
image_zpsansu1kgr.jpeg

Beautiful fish Paco

Fredrick - What body of water did you get the snakehead from ? How's the new kayak treating you ?

AndyP wrote:
Fredrick - What body of water did you get the snakehead from ? How's the new kayak treating you ?

Kayak is doing great worth every penny . I wont tell you were I caught it but I would gladly show you if you have a kayak .

This is the time of the year when I generally start focusing on and landing quite a few walleyes out of the Juniata. I'll try to take some good photos if I have ample time to target them this year, which I most likely will. I love some walleyes on the fly.

eyes are hitting in the Chemung river now. along with bass and musky. I m stuck waiting for parts for my outboard.

Just got back from the Beast of the East muksy fly tourney held by my Muskies inc chapter64. I caught a really nice male mid forties fish. My team took 3rd place and it was the second 2 biggest fish over all. What a awesome time with great friends new and old.
IMG_1269_zpssbsskfj8.jpg

Very well done!

One of these years I'm gonna get upstate to join the chapter at one of these events, maybe the Curwensville Tiger Hunt next year.

BTW: Who says yuh can't catch muskies on sunny, blue bird days.
If they're gonna eat, they're gonna eat! :-o

I caught at 1:35. Right at the end of a major. The moon was underfoot. We had four eats and moved 7 fish on that float. Team flywheels 50.5 was caught with in 35 minutes of my fish.

That's a great fish, it was a tough weekend up there!Lots of fun though. I was there fishing with Paul, Jim, and Taylor, don't remember if I introduced myself to you. Saw my first musky Saturday, it t boned the fly 3 times on the same retrieve but never got the hook and finally spooked at the boat. Probably half the size of yours! Our two boats moved one fish each day, plus a pike (which also ate the entire fly minus the hook - I went 0 for 2 this weekend).

Back