HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Time to Kick Off Bass Fishing!

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
FI wrote:

For the next month, until about mid to late April when I usually stop bass fishing,

Nice fish Dave. This year I really want to start targeting SMB but curious as to why u stop in late April?

Posted on: 3/25 17:29

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
This year I really want to start targeting SMB but curious as to why u stop in late April?

SMBs on the fly are a blast - you should definitely give it a try (and they're a heckuva lot easier than catching trout at Valley or Little Lehigh)

Anyway, for all practical purposes, all our state's bass are wild. They usually start cutting redds to prepare to spawn around the end of April. Once I start seeing bass on redds, I usually back off and focus on fishing for other fish until about mid June, which is usually after most spawning is finished. I still catch the occasional SMB in May, but I'd rather leave 'em alone during spawning time.

Posted on: 3/25 18:09

From danville pa
I'm going get out this weekend and hopefully get some smallmouth in the Susquehanna around Danville

Posted on: 4/3 18:35

From Pittsburgh
LMBs are waking up too... Hit a local pond/lake and stung 7 on a lunch break.

Attach file:

jpg  1797411_10151976846456980_685101087_n.jpg (60.59 KB)
9095_533e247c071e5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 4/3 23:18

From Gettysburg
Definitely game on!

Water temps are pushing upper forties and probably into mid 50s in some river sections. River levels are also getting back to fishable on mid sized or smaller rivers. Bass are still hitting softly and are still in slack water (from what I saw) but should become more aggressive this week.

Here's a 20" fish from Tuesday evening caught fishing from shore.

Attach file:

jpg  SMB41.jpg (112.65 KB)
26_53469c78ed930.jpg 500X313 px

Posted on: 4/10 9:19

From Etters,Pa
Nice Dave !! I can't wait for the water levels to stabilize a little.

Posted on: 4/10 9:58

From Lancaster
Great fish, Dave! Yeah, the water levels over the past few weeks have been a bit dicey. Seems just about the time they are settling down we get blasted with another significant rain event here in the SE. May stop on the way home from work this afternoon to take a water temp and try one of those slower water eddy seams that I've located on the Conestoga. Itchin' to get into one of those big pre-spawn smallies.

Posted on: 4/11 5:40

From Gettysburg
Juniata River went well over 50 degrees yesterday and is holding as of today (Sunday). Looks like more rain is on the way but if you can pull some time today or the next couple days, conditions should be good and smallies should be aggressive. The temp gage on the Susky is offline but my guess would be that the big river is probably well over 50 as well.

Posted on: 4/13 13:16

From SEPA
I'll be trying my luck on the Lower Juni in my pontoon on Sat. 4-19. I heard the action has been good. Good luck to all that go out. If anyone wants to hook up for a float drop me a line.

Posted on: 4/18 11:18

From SEPA
I had a nice day on Sat. These are from the lower Juni.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 4/20 8:20

From Granville
Nice to see some people snagging some bass. The Juniata borders my property so I have to only walk a short way to find some great water. Maybe I'll hit it today with the fly rod or maybe a local class A trout water...hmm....life is full of tough decsions.

Posted on: 4/20 8:49

From Gettysburg
Well, I'm about ready to hang up pre-spawn bass fishing - might give it one more shot as springtime as been slow arriving this year (the trees are only just starting to bud out around here in the last few days). However, we're getting into May and it's time to focus on trout or salt water or toothies or something else (bluegills!) as bass will soon be cutting redds if they aren't already.
I wasn't able to get out as much this spring as I would have liked to (as if any of you are different). The times I did get out, with only one exception, treated me well with multiple fish in the teens and several in the 18-21" class. Best time of year for big river smallies...but I'm calling the game over, at least for me.

If you're a pre-spawn bass regular, how did this spring stack up for you? I think it was better than 2013. Thoughts?

Posted on: 5/4 21:45

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com