Time To Hit The Salt Again

marcq

marcq

Its that time again to get the big sticks strung up and smell the sweet smell of Jerseys back bays and ocean. once the water hits 45 in the back bays its time to go. as of now I think this is winters last push but once the weekend comes I think we should be in the clear. in a month the bunker will be moving ocean side with 40 pound bass and gator blues underneath them. just want to see your spring goals and predictions. I am trying to get a bass bigger 20 pounds and this is the time to do it.

our fall season got destroyed along with a lot of jersey so we got to make up for lost time.

I've got the itch too.

If you head to the NJ shore, please keep us informed of what you saw. Those of us with long travel distances may still be a bit leery about access, conditions etc. More coastal damage is being predicted for the current weather system. The folks there really need a break.....but some fishing tourism dollars wouldn't hurt.

Not sure if much has changed in LBI but I know most of south jersey is ok. This past fall I was in LBI after sandy. Not in great shape. That being said there was some really cool beach structure. Like hole over your head about 20 yards of the beach. House wise everyone had flood damage stuff out side their house. But houses were not blown away.

Fishidiot wrote:
I've got the itch too.

If you head to the NJ shore, please keep us informed of what you saw. Those of us with long travel distances may still be a bit leery about access, conditions etc. More coastal damage is being predicted for the current weather system. The folks there really need a break.....but some fishing tourism dollars wouldn't hurt.

You drive to my house I will drive the rest Dave .

Fredrick wrote:
You drive to my house I will drive the rest Dave .

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Fredrick.

saw a report of fish caught in south jersey, in the bay.......

Water is still a little cold to get out there. Last I check the RB 38 degrees. Not sure what further south is like I might give is a few more weeks. The past 2 years bunker were in the bay by the end of march but its been a colder winter then the past 2 so maybe by early April. I'm itching to get out hopefully with in the next few weeks.

Marc

I would really like to try some back bay fishing sometime. Never did that in NJ. Have done lots on the Vinyard.

gencon

Gencon do you have access to a kayak? I'm planning on heading out in about three weeks to hit a few bays. I have to get my wisdom teeth out next Monday but once I'm up to it ill be down there.

Marc

Water temp at the hook is 43.1 . Almost time to bring out my new Rod Charlene :-D :)

Marcq, no I do not have access to a kayak. But I am sure that would make for a great day. Do you always use one? Or do you sometimes just go on foot?

Gencon

Marc, if you want to top 20# on the fly, head North. At least LBI. Water south of there is too shallow, with too little tidal exchange to attract numbers of big fish. That, and the larger schools of bunker come from back bays further to your North. And over the years, I've found that you won't start catching many on the fly until the plug fishermen start catching. Closer to 55 eegrees.

It's kinda both I use it as a tool to put me in a good spot for wade fishing but ill fish out of it to.

Surfcowboy generally I fish north mostly Monmouth and up. But with the kayak I will be heading to IBSP. I gonna try to figure out that flats fishing they say the have there.

Bob Pop at work

marcq wrote:
It's kinda both I use it as a tool to put me in a good spot for wade fishing but ill fish out of it to.

Surfcowboy generally I fish north mostly Monmouth and up. But with the kayak I will be heading to IBSP. I gonna try to figure out that flats fishing they say the have there.

The past few years that area has been hit or miss. Up until 3 years ago, it was not unusual for the gorilla blues to invade the flats in the spring. Wading out to the edge or kayaking out and casting out almost guaranteed at least an awesome chase on each cast. The blues would get themselves in such a frenzy, they would throw the banger clear out of the water and completely miss it. Since the geotube opened up, it hasn't even been close.

But the nightime bass bite is a different story.

I will be heading out this Thursday night to hit the salt I will most likely be hitting one of the back bays some where . If anyone is interested all are welcome to join .

Gateway National Recreation Area will reopen the Sandy Hook Unit to the public for the first time since Hurricane Sandy beginning Wednesday, May 1. A ceremony at 10 A.M. will mark the reopening, with U.S. Congressman Frank Pallone in attendance.

"We have been looking forward to this moment since the storm hit us and we've worked hard to make it happen this soon," said Sandy Hook Unit Coordinator Pet McCarthy. "Employees and volunteers have literally dug out beach centers and parking logs, and pumped out flooded basements, we've even rebuilt sand dunes and replanted beach grasses." Work will continue this summer as more services are restored and roads continue to be repaved.

After the opening ceremony Congressman Pallone will address the group, which will include the Marine Academy of Science and Technology (MAST) Color Guard who will be on hand to present the colors. These MAST high school student's campus is located in the park and their campus was flooded during the storm. The students will finish the school year at an alternate location, host their graduation at Ft. Hancock, and will return to Sandy Hook for fall classes.

The gates will open at 5 A.M. to accommodate fishing. Maps of fishing areas are posted on Gateway's website. Beach F, a favorite spot for fishers, will be accessible by walking up the coast from Beach E.

Beach parking is free until Memorial Day weekend, when beach parking will again cost $15 per day. The park will open all parking areas on May 1st, and is intending to open the beach centers on Memorial Day weekend. Beach parking permits will go on sale beginning May 1 at 9 A.M. at the front gate. Beach parking permits cost $75 for the season, the same as last year.

Beaches B, Gunnison and North will be open to the public. North and Gunnison are lifeguard-protected beaches from Memorial Day through Labor Day during the hours of 10 A.M. to 6 P.M. Beach B is not lifeguard protected. Beaches C, D, and E will also be guarded during the summer season. While the sewage system undergoes repair, beach centers will use portable toilets.

Like the rest of the New Jersey coast, the recovery of Sandy Hook is still a work in progress. Electric, telephone, water and sewage services were all incapacitated by the storm. These services are largely but not entirely restored. Throughout the summer, the park will continue to rehabilitate damaged beach centers, sections of the multi-use path and other affected areas. Details are still being worked out for food service but it will be limited for the summer. Ray's Bike Rentals will be returning to Sandy Hook again this summer, however bikes will only be available for rent at Fort Hancock. The Visitor Center at Spermaceti Cove was one of several building damaged by the hurricane and will remain closed at this time.

About Gateway National Recreation Area

Established in 1972, Gateway National Recreation Area offers more than 26,000 acres of marshes, wildlife sanctuaries and recreational athletic facilities, miles of sandy beaches; indoor and outdoor classrooms, picnicking and camping areas, as well as historic structures and military installations, airfields, a lighthouse, and adjacent waters around New York harbor. The park offers urban residents in two states a wide range of recreation opportunities year round. It is one of the ten most visited national parks in the country. For more information about Gateway's upcoming public programs, see the park's website at http://www.nps.gov/gate/index.htm.

Back