Thinking of the Beach.

• Thread starter BrookieBuster101
  • Start date
BrookieBuster101

BrookieBuster101

Sitting here in this frigid Pennsylvania winter, cabin fever has been getting the better of me. Around this time of year I think most of us begin to dream about the warmer months and the fishing that comes with it.
I was just wondering when is the best time to fish the outer banks? I know i know, FALL and SPRING. However we vacation down there between Mid June or Late August. In that period is there a "better" time to be there? I had a good time catching puppy drum last year in the bay but that was really it.(not counting the massive numbers of skate we caught) I believe that was the 3rd week of July.

That time of year will have spanish mackerel, bluefish, and the occasional king and cobia blitzing the beach every morning, evening, and at high tide. Go south of the cape for clear water and you will find them. Flounder can be had in the breakers at high tide as well.

No experience with any other fishing down there, aside from the guided trips I've taken.

Thanks Jay. In that range of dates, should we shoot for earlier or later?

I have gone and done well from mid june to late july. I don't have much experience with any other times, but I know that there used to be a few great forums for outer banks fishing. I am not sure which ones are still active, since it's been a few years since I last checked. I'd search around, and you should find plenty of info to get up to speed.

If you're not set on fly fishing, throwing gotcha plugs off the piers is a quick way to feed a small army with fresh spanish mackerel. I don't see how fly fishing would work on a pier, unfortunately.

Oh yea Im saving the fly gear for the inshore areas and the reds and pinfish. I think we were a little late last year and missed a lot of the macks. Thanks alot Jay. Ill look into some of those forums.

http://www.outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/

Back