The Old Farm Pond

dc410

dc410

Sometimes IMO there is nothing better than stopping by the old farm pond on the way home from work on a Friday afternoon. For me its like therapy just sneaking around the pond and busting some largemouths and 'gills on the flyrod. It's kind of like a throwback to my childhood days when I first started flyfishing and learning how to cast on some of these ponds. Today I had about a 6" bluegill hooked which was being constantly attacked by two decent Largemouths the whole time I was bringing it in. I have had that happen before in fact I do remember hooking a largemouth bass on the fly that I was playing a bluegill on years ago on this same pond. Some of the larger slab 'gills really put up a great fight. Had a whole lot of action in a short period of time and a whole lot of fun!

Here are a few pictures from this afternoon.

Attachments

• The Pond.jpg
    The Pond.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Bluegill 4.jpg
    Bluegill 4.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 3
  • LMB 3.jpg
    LMB 3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Bluegill 5.jpg
    Bluegill 5.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 4
  • LMB 4.jpg
    LMB 4.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3
Nice guy. I miss those days. Glad you had a good time.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. It looks like you ahd a great time. I playd that game Thursday evening after work. Its a lot of fun fishing dry flies to selective blue gill.

Nice! Are most farmers in this area pretty receptive to fishing in their ponds? I've been meaning to find a nice farm pond to fish. Seems like there are plenty of them around...

Jeremy,

It never hurts to ask. I think if landowners are approached and asked in a respectful manner many would be willing to allow fishing. Explaining that you are flyfishing and practicing C&R is always good to let them know. Always be sure to ask where they would prefer you to park so you don't pose any inconvenience. Even the Amish farmers are often willing to allow fishing. Just be careful you don't catch any of the kids on a backcast. They come in all sizes and are often very curious. :-D

Back