Susquehanna tributaries: SMB YOY

M

Mike

Smallmouth bass young-of-year (YOY) production assessments in the Susquehanna Basin will further expand this year into most major tributaries. Both DEP and the PFBC will be examining fish for abnormalities and the PFBC will be doing the YOY electrofishing abundance assessments at series of 50 m. long shoreline shallows sites, just like those that have been done and will continue to be done in the Susquehanna proper. Of particular interest to me is whether or not the disease that appears in SMB YOY in the river also appears in the tributariy YOY SMB, and, if it does, whether it occurs with the same intensity in the cleaner tribs as in the more polluted tribs. To me, this year's spring flows appeared to be the type that would produce good YOY abundance and now the temperatures and low flows appear to be characteristic of the type that cause disease problems, but actual ongoing flow and temperature measurements will most likely help determine whether or not that is actually true. In the SE Pa. portion of the Susquehanna Basin we will be examining the usual four sites at Falmouth, Wrightsville, Long Level, and Pequea. Additionally, we will be sampling two tributaries for the first time: Pequea Ck, Conestoga River. The SE Pa YOY abundance index work at four sites on the Delaware and ten sites on the Schuylkill will also continue.

Good stuff Mike when do you think we will be able to look at the report from the study ?

Thanks Mike! Keep up the good work. I think I can speak for a few us here in saying that we really appreciate your reports.

Back