Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Susquehanna spawning conditions

From York, PA
""Wooly's last post took me back to the 80's in Millersburg. I was a spin fisherman only back then, and whenever I'd change Mr Twisters I would leave the line hang in the water while I put my pill bottle full of lures away. 9 times out of ten you would have a smallie on the other end of the line when you picked it up. I've often wondered if the big bass regs allows for too many breeding sized fish and they are just overbreeding themselves and causing disease such as columnaris to break out. Either way, I miss those days.""

Matt, do you also post on River Smallies?
I also miss those days. I started with a spin rod also!! No bragging, but I think I might have been the first to use a 2" smoke grub on a 1/32oz head to catch over 100 smallmouth bass every time I went out!! LOL I would get a bass on every cast so I started using different lures...... and then a flyrod!
Times are changing rapidly, so you should be glad that you fished as often as you did back in the "good old days" Fishing will never be as great as it was...... but I loved every minute that I fished in the wonderful paradise called the Susquehanna.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 21:25

From Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Area
Being unemployed i have been down the river about 15 times in the past 2 1/2 weeks. and killing smallmouth with beadheaded buggers grizzly w/ black body. with 3 wraps of weight before the chenelle. if you don't feel the bottom your out of luck. the biggest was 16 inches on saturday. it was a she because it was fat ready to pop with the eggs in side.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 22:21

From York, PA
yea-who.
Where do you flyfish on the Susquehanna?
Way to go, bro!
Please send some pix with a report.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:07

From Altoona, PA
I was just looking at the Harrisburg guage. Wow! The water is getting really hot already. Almost 90 degrees during the recent heat wave!

Posted on: 2008/6/11 7:04

From York, PA
Yea the water is hot!!! Too hot to fish in the daytime. I'm hard core and I went out in the heat spell!! LOL I almost passed out from the heat! No fish, they hide in the shade and wait for the sun to go down.
Another strange thing on the river today:
The White Miller hatch usually starts in mid July around Wrightsville and works it way upstream to Perdix and lasts until the end of August.
Today, or tonight June 11 the hatch started in the Susquehanna at Wrightsville.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 0:15

woolybugger,

Sorry for the slow reply, (fishing you know) but can tell you that the upper Allegheny from Oil City down to Emlenton has a rocky bottom with lots of gravel with some deep slow moving holes that collect silt, mud etc. The rocky water is what I concentrate on and we catch SM in all year classes. My last two July trips have been very succesfull as far as numbers landed on the fly rod, not many over 18inches. When I hook up with my wifes cousins on the jet boat we frequently catch 20 inch plus fish with live bait caught out of the riffles dead drifted in deeper water. An added bonus is the occasional walleye or if the bait is large enough a northern or two and once in while some of resident muskies. It is the most reliable fishery I know of in mid-summer providing the water level stays low. I know the power boaters don't like those conditions but us kayak fishermen love it!

JA

Posted on: 2008/6/16 15:52

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com