Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Susquehanna 10/3

From York, PA
Hot, shallow water. 3' at the Harrisburg guage.
"ginkyhackle" posted that fallfish are so under rated...... I must agree! They are more plentiful than smallmouth in the river, they grab a fly with gusto, and jump like a big trout!
I went out today with a 5wt and size 6 streamers. I was fishing for fallfish, and if a bass grabbed my fly...... also wonderful.
I landed 5 smallmouth bass and 16 fallfish. The biggest fallfish, around 20", pulled drag to the backing and fought like a salmon!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Posted on: 2007/10/3 22:10

Re: Susquehanna 10/3

From Chester County, PA
Wow! Great photos! Did you catch all of these fish with the same woolybugger? If so, what kind of technique were you using? I tend to find that fallfish hit streamers for me when I'm stripping them upstream a little irratically. I have never been able to catch a fallfish (ever) dead drifting or twitching a bugger downstream. I wonder why that is! Also, is that a bead head? Weight has made a huge difference for me in our drought-stricken rivers!

Posted on: 2007/10/4 19:42

From Chester County, PA
Check out this site FallFish

It has a thread in which a few anglers admit to being closet fallfish fanciers. I remember when carp were always considered "garbagefish" -- now they are lauded as "freshwater bonefish." I think it just a matter of time before fallfish are recast as "warmwater grayling!"

Incidentally, in europe members of the minnow family enjoy a very different reputation.

Posted on: 2007/10/4 21:15

From York, PA
ginkyhackle,
No, not all the fish on the same bugger. I like to change flies all the time........... must be that I've learned how to tie a Uni knot in a couple seconds! LOL The best for me has been a size 6 black or olive woolybugger.
All the fish I catch are cross current cast or downstream. If I cast upstream with a sink line, the bugger will get snagged or get full of snot grass.
Having said that, tonight I put floating line on my 5wt and caught a couple upstream.
No beadheads for this guy!! Only unweighted buggers with a sink line. If I have a floating line on, and have deep water, I use a lead eye bugger. I hate to cast a weighted fly on a fly rod. A sink line will cast so nice and put the streamer in the strike zone way better than adding lead. But that's just me!! Even trout fishing, I hate to add split shot and strike indicators. If I want the nymph/streamer to sink, I use a sink tip line.

Posted on: 2007/10/4 21:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com