Susky pros

Kabutt

Kabutt

Been exploring this awesome river the past few weekends between Wilkes-Barre and Sunbury. Fishing big rivers like this is totally new to me, and I've been enjoying it. I've used a combination of Google and just driving up and down to look for riffles to fish. I have a few questions for you experienced river bassers...

I've been exclusively fishing features associated with moderately moving water - are the miles of slower water between riffles worth targeting at all?

I did relatively well on Saturday, and managed to fish most of the day without getting wet to boot. Then on Sunday I fished a section I had done well on previously, without any success. The water was about a foot higher, but I adjusted my techniques accordingly. Could the lack of action be attributed to strong high-pressure moving in? I never really paid much attention to the barometric pressure with regard to fishing for trout...

Where can I fish the lower river!? PM me if you like.

Ok, the susky is definitely bigger than the yough(biggest water i fish somewhat regularly), but i suggest floating it. You cover ten times the water you would by walking/wading and its a crash course on the body of water you are fishing. I guarantee after one float you will have a list of spots that you would want to go back and investigate, and you will have a list of stretches that just plain suck. I love aerials, but they cant makeup for being on the water.

Kabutt wrote:
are the miles of slower water between riffles worth targeting at all?

Absolutely! These slow pools are often great places to fish poppers in the evening. In my experience, big SMBs in rivers tend to be in deeper, slower water. Sure, you'll find 'em on occasion in riffles and pocket water but, generally speaking, you find a larger class of fish in pools.
During your explorations, make note of the river structure during low, summer flows. In particular, try to find the deepest, slowest areas. Later in the fall, the fish will move into these sections and, in some cases, winter over in them. Knowing these deep holding areas will open the door to some good bassin during the colder months of the year and esp the pre-spawn (March-April).

+1 to what fishidiot says. My biggest smallies all year have been in the slow moving water and man have they been exciting strikes. You really need to be patient though and really pound the water with big streamers or poppers and just keep casting. I know it can be discouraging when you dont catch smaller fish in the mix but putting your time in can reward you greatly. Good Luck!!

Kabutt wrote:
Been exploring this awesome river the past few weekends between Wilkes-Barre and Sunbury. Fishing big rivers like this is totally new to me, and I've been enjoying it. I've used a combination of Google and just driving up and down to look for riffles to fish. I have a few questions for you experienced river bassers...

I've been exclusively fishing features associated with moderately moving water - are the miles of slower water between riffles worth targeting at all?

I did relatively well on Saturday, and managed to fish most of the day without getting wet to boot. Then on Sunday I fished a section I had done well on previously, without any success. The water was about a foot higher, but I adjusted my techniques accordingly. Could the lack of action be attributed to strong high-pressure moving in? I never really paid much attention to the barometric pressure with regard to fishing for trout...

Where can I fish the lower river!? PM me if you like.

A cold front came through on Saturday night and likely put the SMB off their feed. This often happens when a cold front comes through. The weather/temps will stabilize and the good fishing should return in a few days. In fact, the early fall is often the best time to fish for SMBs.

Good advice about floating the river to explore. If not, try different fishing spots with varying water types (slow-fast-deep shallow).

One important thing to look for is cover. Sections of the river with larger rocks or even boulders are SMB magnets.

Also look for structure and changes such as points, eddies, current breaks, bends, islands, troughs, tribs entering the river - anything different, and fish them all. A pattern will develop as to where and what type of water the fish will inhabit. The problem is, when you have it all figured out, it will change...lol. It often changes with the weather, the flow, and the season.

As FI wrote, the fish will usually move into the slower, deeper areas, especially later in the season.

Good luck - have fun.

Thanks to all. I'd definitely say the biggest bass I've caught have been from the slower water. There're a few spots I've found where the river narrows considerably at the end of a pool above a riffle - I've done well at these points. I must say though, I'm hesitant to float the Susky. It just seems like there's miles of slow water to paddle through, and plus it's 100 yards wide at some places. I don't know where to start!

afishinado wrote:
A cold front came in on Saturday night and likely put the SMB off their feed. This often happens when a cold front comes through. The weather/temps will stabilize and the good fishing should return in a few days.

That what I was thinking. I've never really experienced this phenomenon when trout fishing, so I wasn't sure. I'll probably head back out this weekend. I'd like to start exploring further downriver...

Dont know if I missed something from before but what do you have to float with? If its anything you can put a small trolling motor on than your in business. I usually float about 10 miles each trip and a trolling motor helps put a lot of water behind you if you have a reliable battery.

Nah, I just have a small entry-level yak. I don't mind the paddling itself, it's just that I'd rather be spending that time fishing!

Have you considered night fishing around city island? There's pretty of lights around and it still holds a very good population of lunkers. I would certainly give it one shot...bet you go back for more. A yak would be perfect. Focus on the marina eddy and bridge abutments. I've heard reports of 30-60 fish nights with yields of 2-7 lbers. If you're a day tripper shoot me a PM and I'll put you on spots north of Harrisburg, south of town I can't help much.

There are days when the smallies just shut down. Sounds like Sunday might have been one of those days.

The very worst weather pattern I've run into is a south wind. If I get to the river and the wind is blowing out of the south. (upriver) I go home.

midgeman wrote:
Have you considered night fishing around city island?

I tried a couple hundred yards below there at first light two weeks ago. It looked like great water, I was amped. Then two dudes waded out just upstream of me, crossed in front of me precisely where I was intending to fish, then moved around to downstream of me. I got slightly annoyed and relocated. I'm a tad leery of yaking unfamiliar water at night, but the prospect is intriguing... PM coming.

barrybarry - It was definitely one of those days. For me anyway...

Not much mention of the walleye. There are Canadian sized walleye trophies in the Susky.......some easily over 10lbs. A lot of walleye north of Wilkes-Barre, but I've heard good reports in Sunbury from shore fisherman at night with lures. In fact, I'd say that if you know what you are doing, it is even better than your average Canadian lake fishing, because a lot of those lakes have tiny fellas in them 16-20".

They will start to move into shallow water and stay there more frequently now that the nights are getting cooler. The walleye in this river will bite at 3am in January when its 18 degrees air temp. However, the most comfortable time for an angler to fish for them is now until November.

They prefer slightly higher water than average, when fall rains come and lift the river. They move up river and look for the mouths of streams. However, they can be found throughout the entire river all year. I have had my best days during the fall afternoons in slightly off color water at about 3pm till dusk. But, in the early fall it pays to stay out into the darkness, or even start and say 10pm and end at 12am or 2 am, depending on success rate.

They will take marabou white streamers all night, even up to and including the surface. Walleye like to come up to a bait from below. Add a little lead wrap to long tailed streamers to get them to sink a foot of two. Walleye are notorious for short striking and tail nipping of minnows. Even 30 inchers will mouth a small bait and spit it out fast, leaving you wondering if it was a fish at all.

Now, fly fishing will work, but it is not the best method for this river. The best lures are twister tail grubs of 3" length with 1/4oz jig heads. You can use lighter or heavier jig heads depending on conditions. You don't want to jig the twister tail for the best effect. You want to swim the grub with a steady retrieve all the way back to you. Just reel it back to yourself, all throughout the water column. This is very effective. Shallow rapala stick baits work well too, but are unnecessarily expensive, especially in a snag prone river like the Susky.

And.........use some good line, because there are 40 pound musky all over the place, and pike. They will eat at night too, and you can land them with lighter line, but it's gonna be a battle. Don't forget a head lamp or pliers.

Back