Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Surf Fishing

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Osprey not sure of prices for campgrounds and such but to go to I.B.S.P. in Seaside Park it will cost $4.00 a day for car or if you have a 4x4 50.00 for a 3 day permit. Must carry safty equip. and watch a 15 flick on beach driving. There is a few good motels in the sea side park area that cater to fishermen too. do a search for either sea side park NJ. of Island beach state park. over 7 miles of beach to explore plus the back bay also.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 6:59

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Sandy is right on the park.
I fish Sandy Hook a lot also.
After Labor day no fees, unless you are staying overnight then you need an after hours parking pass $50.00 yearly
Can fish both the bay and the ocean front.
There are a couple of areas closed now for Bird nesting,
should be clear by Sept.
Will check this coming Friday -next trip over there.

wet

Posted on: 2010/8/8 17:51

From SEPA
I have a copy of the specific regs for the Hook, when I was down there I was checked by an NJ WCO. Spermaceti Cove and the USCG base are closed full year, according to what he told me, but everything else is open.

The fishing beach is free to park, but parking is limited before they "close" it. Afterwards, there's a nominal fee to park at a bathing beach lot, but the guys I went with and I are of the belief most people just lie abotu parking there and goto the bathing lots.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 19:05

Fish the point at sandy hook, long walk but worth fishing the drop off there, also around plum island area has always produced some nice fish on the backside. I used to fish above area "G" alot too.

Used to go to montauk too, but have stayed away in the last 10 years cause of traffic there and to much robberies and thefts.

Around Lavalette is good to, and you might bump into Bob Popivics there. Shark river is another place to try as well.

Sept. brings on the mullet run, then the bunker, rainfish and finally sand eels in nov/dec.. In between the sea herring come along and will hit small clousers after dark, fun on the fly rod..

Posted on: 2010/8/9 9:32

From SEPA
FWIW, next week starts my OC NJ trip, right for the hottest part of the summer...but, whatcha gonna do?

Figure I'll soak bait off the beach while the kids play during the day, and then hopefully work Corson's Inlet and the back area in evenings and mornings.

Is it worth my time trying to hike back into there and work the actual salt creeks, or just the mouths of them?

Posted on: 2010/8/9 12:05

From SE PA - Montgomery County
If anyone is interested in heading down to fish the salt this fall, let me know. I would be interested in going along. I have been down to the Barnegat Bay area several times and have fished the surf, jetty and the back bay in my kayak. I am not new to saltwater fishing, but I am still learning how to get them on the fly. I have managed to get several snapper blues on occassion, but I really want to target the stripers this fall.

Rob

Posted on: 2010/8/9 12:46

Rob for decent stripers watch for when the peanut bunker are running, good time to get into stripers and big blues on the beach at I.B.S.P. Watch the reports at betty and nicks.com

Posted on: 2010/8/11 7:48

Sandy,

I do check out Betty & Nicks website each spring and fall for their reports. I have yet to hit the peanut bunker's though. What time are they usually around? I tied up a 1/2 dozen of those patterns last year and I can't wait for the opportunity to be able to use them!!

I also tied a bunch of sand eels (weighted and unweighted). I need to learn the proper times to use each of them. I heard at different times of day the sand eels can be foraging on the bottom or close to the surface at other times.

Each time I have been down there it has not been worth while to just blind cast for the stripers on the beach. I need to time my trips so I can find a feeding school or maybe just target the smaller ones in the channels and inlets feeding on the PB and Sand Eels.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 16:02

Rob
In sept. is when the mullet start to run and the snapper blues out of the bays. late sept. through october is when you see peanuts, sea herring and rainbait (bay anchovies) then late in the year nov. through dec.(Brrrrrr) the sand eels run. I have seen fish on some years into January, cold then for sure.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 18:10

Rob
In sept. is when the mullet start to run and the snapper blues out of the bays. late sept. through october is when you see peanuts, sea herring and rainbait (bay anchovies) then late in the year nov. through dec.(Brrrrrr) the sand eels run. I have seen fish on some years into January, cold then for sure. sand eels are nocturnal feeders and come out in the evenings.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 18:11

From Potter/montgomery
They are catching some fluke now during the day, some are keepers, and sharks at night at I.B.S.P. I go to http://www.guppiesfishing.com/ for reports on the island. Not a fly fishing site but good reports and no BS.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 7:19

Fished the Hook yesterday noon till dark.
Lots of dirty water, go figure.
Swells cutting in some nice new structure.
Still bait in the bay and coves.
A couple of short fluke on small clausers.
North Beach bird wires are gone.
Will get down again Friday

wet

Posted on: 2010/9/3 18:13

From Lititz, Pa
If anyone is looking for someone to ride along I would be happy to go to Sandy Hook. I have never been there but have most of the gear. Maybe we should have a saltwater jam.

Thanks
Rick

Posted on: 2010/9/7 16:57

Saltwater Jam sounds like a good idea to me. Who wants to organize it??

My buddy has a beach buggy permit for IBSP, so I may head down there at least one time next month. I am familiar with that area, but not Sandy Hook.

Posted on: 2010/9/8 15:55

Salt water Jam AY , could be interesting !

I do the Hook mostly now and then fish the park.
In the park I like to just walk on at Gilkins.
Will be giving the Hook a look see on Friday.

wet

Posted on: 2010/9/8 19:27

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com