Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Suckers

From chester county
Fallfish are the only fish that bother me with their slime. I usually try not to touch them when I remove the fly because I gotta drive home when I'm done fishing and I don't want the steering wheel smelling like fallfish. The smell does get to me. plus they crap on you a lot but the big ones in heavy current do fight well so that almost makes up for it.

I have a 5 wt rod so I think a 20"+ sucker would be a challenge by size alone if not by making runs like the one in one of those videos.

So more like a DQ hot dog? Cuz you're at a place with something better than hot dogs but you get a hot dog and it isn't that great but you'll take it. LOL does this make any sense?

Posted on: 2009/9/4 11:05

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>So more like a DQ hot dog? Cuz you're at a place with something better than hot dogs but you get a hot dog and it isn't that great but you'll take it. LOL does this make any sense?>>

Absolutely...

And looked at on a sliding scale that compares value with a lot of what is said around here, it comes very close to qualifying as wisdom...:)

Posted on: 2009/9/4 14:54

From chester county
I am too young to be wise...

I gotta be honest I just picked something and then made up an explanation afterwards...four years of top-level English classes will help you do that lol. I can find a symbolic meaning or analogy in anything even a DQ hotdog

Posted on: 2009/9/4 22:00

I've never targeted them, so this is just a guess, but what about a san juan worm or leech? When I see them schooled up and hanging midstream they're not usually feeding, but sometimes a stray trout is hanging out with them, I'm guessing feeding on what they kick up. You could probably coax a hit by getting a worm or leech down in the mud and twitching it to create a small puff. Might trigger a strike.

Posted on: 2009/9/11 22:53

From chester county
Maybe a bugger would work i don't have any worms or leeches, that's a good idea wildfish

Posted on: 2009/9/12 14:29

From lancaster county
Use bright pink or red san jaun worms. I have caught tons of suckers in Cedar Creek (lehigh county) on them. They love worms.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 17:32

From NW PA
I find that if I'm fishing in an area with a good population of suckers I periodically catch them on pretty much any nymph (GRHE, isonychias, prince, small stonefly nymphs etc) I'm fishing as long as I'm getting a GOOD drift. My own experience with suckers is that they are a lot more sensative to any unnatural fly movement than stocked trout are. I actually use it as a barometer of sorts for certain holes I like to fish. If I catch a sucker once in a while, I know I've got my weight and drift spot on. Also, they fight great. Heres a pic of an Allegheny River Sucker I got on a prince nymph.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/9/26 21:29

From Montgomery County
Fish trout flies slow and along the bottom. Sucker spawn, nymphs and worm patterns will all take them. If I'm fishing a pool with both species, suckers almost always spook before the trout.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 15:49

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com