Success with Toothy Critters 2019

Fredrick

Fredrick

Figured I’d start this up for you DaveW

2019 Toothy Critter Success thread, this thread is for all successful and unsuccessful Esox stories either it be Pike , Musky or Pickerel .

My first Toothy outing of the year was for pike today, still trying to catch my first one . I knew it was going to be some tough fishing when I got there because of the drastic changes from yesterday and today’s temps . And I was right . I didn’t get any pike but I did catch a 4lb Pickerel. I will definitely be going back out to give it another shot .

Attachments

• B221E9BA-4A0C-45E8-B555-D27FF0653841.jpeg
    B221E9BA-4A0C-45E8-B555-D27FF0653841.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 8
Nice!

The pickeral are definitely hot-to-trot. I got a couple small ones yesterday - they were chasing bluegills in the shallows.

With the lack of ice on ponds and lakes this winter (so far) and the rivers blown out, pickerel can be a cold water option.

Great pickerel! I'm hoping to find some that size in 2019 fishing from my SUP.

Fred, Nice fish. Starting 2019 with a bang. Looks like 2019 will be a good year for U.
Larry

Landed my first toothy of the season this past weekend in the susquehanna a nice fat 32 in northern caught on one of those crazy dragon tails,Hope it only gets better from here.Sorry no picture so its only a fish tail.

melvinp wrote:
Landed my first toothy of the season this past weekend in the susquehanna a nice fat 32 in northern caught on one of those crazy dragon tails,Hope it only gets better from here.Sorry no picture so its only a fish tail.

Fish tail is okay.

I have a bunch of DTs tied up waiting to try out.

How did the fly hold up on the toothy?

Very cool, melvinp!

Well it lasted for one fish looks like it would make two not sure on #3 as for the action (WAY COOL)I was using the Orvis type in mini that are still pretty big.

Finally put one in the boat yesterday. It's been since Labor Day last year since I landed one. This 42"er was the first fish on my buddy's new boat. Coincidentally, I christened his last boat with a 42" musky. Wish he would buy a new boat more often...

Attachments

• Musky 2019.jpg
    Musky 2019.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2
Well done Fly_flinger - that's what we're talkin about!

fly_flinger wrote:
Finally put one in the boat yesterday. It's been since Labor Day last year since I landed one. This 42"er was the first fish on my buddy's new boat. Coincidentally, I christened his last boat with a 42" musky. Wish he would buy a new boat more often...

Nice what fly did you get it on ?

Fredrick wrote:
fly_flinger wrote:

I was cheating and using live bait. Found a spot in Jersey that I could throw a cast net for juvenile snakeheads.

fly_flinger wrote:
I was cheating and using live bait. Found a spot in Jersey that I could throw a cast net for juvenile snakeheads.

Well played Sir!
:pint:

Dang, I changed out my avatar too soon. :cool:

(Actually, I'd be curious to know what fly yuh got him on too.)

fly_flinger wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
fly_flinger wrote:

And here I was just telling some of my friends how well your presenation was, I mean I could just post a pic of your fly boxes I took from the meeting and you can pic the one out that assaulted the musky like in a police line up :lol:

Fredrick wrote:
fly_flinger wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
fly_flinger wrote:

And here I was just telling some of my friends how well your presenation was, I mean I could just post a pic of your fly boxes I took from the meeting and you can pic the one out that assaulted the musky like in a police line up :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHA- Good stuff man.

The fly is a happy little accident I made while trying to copy another pattern. It turned out nothing like what I was trying to copy but it has caught me a few muskies now. And smallies and a good walleye too. It's about 7" long and is mostly black bucktail, tied on a 3" shank with a few feathers for a tail. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. It's nothing special really and that's the good thing about muskies. I don't think they care so much what it looks like when they are hungry, they are going to eat whatever is in front of them.

You don't have to share the fly I have allot of my musky eater (aka snakehead) flies tucked away in a vault . Don't forget to hit me up for a trip also the guys want to have you back for some tying .

fly_flinger wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
fly_flinger wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
fly_flinger wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA- Good stuff man.

The fly is a happy little accident I made while trying to copy another pattern. It turned out nothing like what I was trying to copy but it has caught me a few muskies now. And smallies and a good walleye too. It's about 7" long and is mostly black bucktail, tied on a 3" shank with a few feathers for a tail. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. It's nothing special really and that's the good thing about muskies. I don't think they care so much what it looks like when they are hungry, they are going to eat whatever is in front of them.

Doubled up on Saturday.

Attachments

• M7.jpg
    M7.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 3
  • M8.jpg
    M8.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2
  • M9.jpg
    M9.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2
Nice work D-nymph. Were both on that slider pattern?

No, two different flies. Bigger fish on the slider, which is Dally's Tiny Dancer (Arkansas trout fly) that I upsized for pike/musky. This was it's first outing. Smaller fish was a walleye color Buford.

Back