Striper on the Brodhead

Millsertime

Millsertime

Today, I was targeting smallmouth bass and trout but got a pleasant surprise. I've heard of people catching stripers on the Brodhead but I didn't think I'd ever catch one. I caught it at around noon today (a blue bird day) in the Brodhead Gorge. Not big but fun nonetheless. It took me down to my backing but not much more. I'd estimate it took around 6 minutes to land it. I knew it was a striper right away because I saw it take the streamer right in front of me while stripping. Hoping to get back there this weekend and fish at night.

I added a couple other pictures from the Gorge as well.

Attachments

• 20150723_121934.jpg
    20150723_121934.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20150723_125831.jpg
    20150723_125831.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20150723_134948.jpg
    20150723_134948.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20150723_151119 (2).jpg
    20150723_151119 (2).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 15
Wow. Now that's something you don't see every day!

Heading this off at the pass...Yes, it is a pure striper despite having broken lines. It happens.

I've often pondered how far up the Susky watershed stripers would have migrated back in the day before the dams. Considering that stripers go way up the Delaware and a few fish even go up into the Catskill tribs, it could certainly be possible that striped bass were fished by folks throughout central and northcentral PA during colonial times(?). Or at least up to mid state.

Hope you three them into the trees. Kidding of course. Nice catch.

Great catch. Never caught on there but have heard some stories that sometimes there are some fairly large stripers in the gorge.

Well done,

GenCon

Fishidiot,

Here's a clue, stripers ran as far upstream as Port Carbon on the Schuylkill. That is about 120 miles or so from the mouth and at that point the river is perhaps 35 ft wide. On the Delaware they run much farther than that. The Narrowsburg pool comes to mind.

stripers will go as far as water temps, water levels and bait will allow them.

very nice catch.

I didn't eat the striper. Too far of a hike back to the truck. It was very enjoyable catching it on a 4wt with 4X tippet. Aren't stripers typically nocturnal feeders?

Millsertime wrote:
Aren't stripers typically nocturnal feeders?

Not really. They'll feed day or night (at the Atlantic beaches during summer, folks typically fish for them at night).

Nice catch. Must have been a blast.
I fish the Brodhead a lot and that would diffidently would surprise the heck out of me. If you ever want to hook up let me know am also in Stroudsburg.

I hear about fishing for stripers in the ocean where they use eels for bait, I wonder if they are following eels up the Brodhead. I have a video of four large lamprey eels making a redd by moving rocks with their suction cup mouths way up the Brodhead on the other side of Stroudsburg.

I grew up fishing Raystown, and the Raystown branch of the Juniata. Did quite a bit of stiper fishing for recreation and in tournaments on that lake. Never with a fly rod though and have been itching to give it a shot. I think I am going to take a crack at it next spring. I don't know if an 8wt would cut it though. May need to invest in a 10wt.

Mike,

Several years ago my brother told me he caught one on the Neshaminy Creek, near Hulmeville. Be interesting to know how far up that creek they would travel if the dams in Hulemville and Trevose/Oakford were taken down.

Back