« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Striped bass stocks over fished
From Gettysburg
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
NC has just closed all fishing for stripers commercial and recreational

https://www.witn.com/content/news/NC-D ... C1YXE2cA3-y_TduogyqRUwPMU

Wow!

NC was the last state I would have expected to implement C&R for SB . . . but hey, it's good news and we'll take it. I've long felt that much of the mortality of very large spawn sized cows was happening in winter down in NC, so I welcome this.

Thanks Fredrick.

Posted on: 3/18 18:09

From SE Pa
I'm not familiar with NC commercial fishing but after looking at the maps it seems gill nets are not permitted in their rivers but the coast is still fair game. I did not know gill netters are that prolific in NC inland waters. I guess this is okay but it seems like a half measure at best. The season does not really close since recreational catch and release is permitted. This is good news. I guess they didn't read those catch and release mortality reports.

Posted on: 3/18 21:40

From Morgantown, PA
Can anyone explain what caused the across the board “boom” in striper fishing both recreationally and commercially during the 90’s/early 2000’s? (See the graph in afish’s Post #2.)

Posted on: 3/19 7:31

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Can anyone explain what caused the across the board “boom” in striper fishing both recreationally and commercially during the 90’s/early 2000’s? (See the graph in afish’s Post #2.)

This boom was the result of a renewed interest in sport fishing for SB after a government imposed moratorium in the 1980s. SB had been very popular sport fish before this but, for some unknown reason, their population crashed in the early 1980s, especially in the Chesapeake Bay, their main spawning area. There was a federal moratorium put in place protecting SB and their numbers bounced back pretty quick. By the late 90s they were numerous again and a new generation of anglers took up sport fishing for them. There's a good book, Striper Wars, by Dick Russell that tells the story of the moratorium and the old culture of SB angling.

Their population recovery combined with a big, new, public focus on sport fishing for SB (including among FFers) is the basis for the curve on Afish's graph.

Posted on: 3/19 8:04

From Morgantown, PA
Thanks Dave, appreciate the history.

Posted on: 3/19 8:25

From Red Bank, NJ
I believe the bunker boats are a large part of the problem both from the inevitable by catch of stripers as well as the severe reduction in the prime striper food. Also the fact that party boats now target stripers, something that was essentially unheard of perhaps 15-20 years ago has to be a major factor.

Posted on: 3/22 12:23

From Delaware Co.
Scientists Urge Va. to Cancel Spring Trophy Striper Season

https://www.chesapeakebaymagazine.com/ ... ing-trophy-striper-season

Posted on: 4/3 8:51

From SE Pa
Quote:
I believe the bunker boats are a large part of the problem both from the inevitable by catch of stripers as well as the severe reduction in the prime striper food. Also the fact that party boats now target stripers, something that was essentially unheard of perhaps 15-20 years ago has to be a major factor.

+1

Posted on: 4/3 11:48

From Northern VA
Fredrick, I hope they follow through with that. And also crack down on poaching...it is a massive problem in the Potomac. Frequently reported, rarely acted upon by law enforcement.

Posted on: 4/3 12:00

From Delaware Co.

Posted on: 4/8 10:33

If when you say "moratorium" you are referiring to a 1980's style closure, I doubt that you'll see that as a coastwide first step. I would suggest that there are still a number of regulation alternatives to that drastic measure.

Posted on: 4/8 20:29

From Gettysburg
A short read of Fredrick's link reveals a proposal in Virginia to close their spring trophy season this year.

Although not close to a 1980s style moratorium where all harvest is banned by the feds, it does suggest that there is growing consensus that large female SB are being over fished. It should be noted that this is just a proposal and Maryland is not considering similar changes (at least not yet), nor is it clear that this proposal will actually be put in place.

Nevertheless, I think this is continued good news and suggests that the new awareness of over harvest is leading more states to consider stricter measures... a good trend.

Posted on: 4/8 20:55

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

Dave_W wrote:
A short read of Fredrick's link reveals a proposal in Virginia to close their spring trophy season this year.

Although not close to a 1980s style moratorium where all harvest is banned by the feds, it does suggest that there is growing consensus that large female SB are being over fished. It should be noted that this is just a proposal and Maryland is not considering similar changes (at least not yet), nor is it clear that this proposal will actually be put in place.

Nevertheless, I think this is continued good news and suggests that the new awareness of over harvest is leading more states to consider stricter measures... a good trend.

There is to much greed involved when it comes to this fish their will be no regulation agreed upon that will help the fish recover. And from what I can tell is that the only reg that helped the fish recover was the closure. So they will attempt to add another stricter reg change like they have been doing for the past ten years since I have been following, that has not worked. The numbers have been on a steady decline for how long now ?

Posted on: 4/9 10:04

From SE Pa
Quote:
There is to much greed involved when it comes to this fish their will be no regulation agreed upon that will help the fish recover. And from what I can tell is that the only reg that helped the fish recover was the closure. So they will attempt to add another stricter reg change like they have been doing for the past ten years

I think you're right, I hope not but .........

Posted on: 4/9 20:34

From Gettysburg
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
Quote:
There is to much greed involved when it comes to this fish their will be no regulation agreed upon that will help the fish recover. And from what I can tell is that the only reg that helped the fish recover was the closure. So they will attempt to add another stricter reg change like they have been doing for the past ten years

I think you're right, I hope not but .........

I'm a bit more optimistic.

It should be remembered that what we're seeing right now is not a wholesale and catastrophic population collapse as occurred in the late 70s-early 80s in which there were multiple poor years of YOY. What we're dealing with here is over harvest of older adults. An 80s style moratorium isn't needed and isn't going to happen. Instead, some progressive regulations that move the needle in the right direction are what is needed. To begin with, some basic education of anglers about the time it takes to grow a large SB (a 40" bass is about 13 years old), combined with stricter harvest limits on big fish are what is needed. Reduction of menhaden harvest would also help as well.

The SB population has not collapsed. Recent YOY numbers over the last decade are average or better and there are plenty of fish out there. Folks just need to release the big females. Whether VA adopts the closed spring trophy season remains to be seen (I hope they do) but it would not surprise me if such measures are approved.

Smaller, incremental steps in the right direction are the answer in situations like this.

Posted on: 4/10 8:36

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>
Polls
Has the Internet helped or hurt your fly fishing experiences?
Helped 90% (29)
Hurt 9% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2019/9/29 17:31
Comments?

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com