Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Striped bass stocks over fished

From SE Pa
I've been a googan for over 40 years. I surf fish, avail myself to the 6 pack charters and fish the Delaware bay by boat. Over the last five years I have slowed my saltwater roll a bit because I find the jersey shore to be to crowded, to dirty, to expensive and coupled with the limits, just not worth the time and expense.

If you eat fish do you eat fish you catch or just fish you buy? If so please explain way its okay to eat the fish caught by others as opposed to the fish caught by yourself?

Us googans keeping a couple striped bass a couple times a week is not hurting the stock. Perhaps it's those crusty old locals who are keeping their limit everyday. Perhaps it's those crusty old locals who are the ones ripping the guts from fish to save a hook. Applying common sense, I can say the family of 5 from bucks county spending a week in ocean city are not there showing the yougins how to rip a hook out of a bass.

All I'm saying is let's make sure we are regulating the right thing. Let's make sure we are more accurate with our data before acting foolishly. If recreational fishing is to blame then we are all equally to be blamed. These lines of division and segregation as to who is a sportsmen and who is not and which side of the isle needs more regulation is nothing more then the hangman at work. Let's close the season to all recreational anglers for the benifit of the bass, and the commercial dollars.

Posted on: 2/23 10:17

Recreational anglers account for 90% of the striped bass harvest; commercial fishing accounts for 10%. Even if there would be a 10% error, recreational anglers still would dominate the harvest.

Disconcerting is the revelation that now the estimated number of stripers killed by catch and release (using a 10% delayed mortality rate applied to the release numbers) is greater than that taken in the harvest. It is a factor that in my mind needs to be addressed and I hope will be. Requiring circle hook usage for all bait angling might be one avenue, although they are no panacea, and another would be the eliminating live-lining of eels, white perch, live bunker (menhaden) etc.

Given that the American eel population coastwide is in relatively poor shape, terminating eel usage as bait would be beneficial to the eel population as well. One need not use eels as bait in order to have success overall; cut bait, clams, and lures work just fine, thank you very much. I, for one, would not knowingly use representatives from one fish population that is in trouble, and with a live lining technique to boot, to capture members of another fish population that is having some difficulties.

I'll save the discussion of chicken liver usage a bait in nursery waters for another time.

Posted on: 2/23 11:03

Edited by Mike on 2019/2/23 12:02:51

From Hershey
I don't fish in the ocean much and have never caught a striper. I try to pinch barbs on my lures. Do striper fisherman do this?
Any statistics on #'s and %'s killed Circle vs. Regular Hooks vs. lures vs. flies? What about when each are made barbless?

Seems to me these would be important considerations. Why not mandate circle or barbless if it makes a substantial difference?

Posted on: 2/23 11:33

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

Quote:

moon1284 wrote:
Not too knowledgeable on this but I think there are more stipers than normal in the gulf of st Lawrence (way up north).

Lobster populations are also shifting north.

https://weather.com/science/nature/new ... and-lobsters-moving-north

Posted on: 2/23 11:41

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

moon1284 wrote:
Not too knowledgeable on this but I think there are more stipers than normal in the gulf of st Lawrence (way up north).

Lobster populations are also shifting north.

https://weather.com/science/nature/new ... and-lobsters-moving-north

Striper populations have also shifted northward according to this article > https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sc ... lation-recovery-1.4613759

Posted on: 2/23 12:02

As I recall, there is a Hudson River and/or Chesapeake study(ies) published on the use of circle hooks for stripers, but I think water temp is also included (important) as a variable.

Posted on: 2/23 12:05

Right on Afish, we are seeing that in a number of species, all related to warming ocean water temps.

Posted on: 2/23 12:09

From Flourtown, PA
Poopdeck, you're just one family of 5 from Bucks County, true. But there are over 600,000 people in Bucks, so think over a hundred thousand families of five. So, although your family isn't doing it everyday, everyday, many hundreds of families are. Imagine all of them taking their two-per limit. Then imagine the >800,000 in Montco, the 600,000 in Delco, the 1,600,000 in Philadelphia, the 500,000 in Chester, the 650,000 from Lehigh and Northampton, and that's not counting a single person from more than 2 hours away, and nobody from NY, DE, or NJ. Now all these people don't fish, but it gives you an idea of scope. It's always a matter of scope. I don't think people can really wrap their heads around the density of population in this area and the effect that the recent surge in the popularity of striper fishing has had. Think about a headboat on a good day-150 guys taking two each and throwing back hundreds. Imagine, coast-wide, all the six-pack charters targeting trophy fish with bait. This is where the real damage is being done.

Posted on: 2/23 12:20

Another way to think about the harvest aspect is this, using stocked trout as the example. When we did creel surveys on stocked trout streams, including opening day, the occasional anglers who kept their limits (either 8 trout or 5 trout depending upon the regs at the time) did not do much damage to the trout populations, as they were relatively rare individuals. When you looked at the data and summed the catches (harvest numbers), it was the anglers who kept 1 or 2 fish who depleted the population simply because of the sheer number of anglers who harvested those lower numbers. This somewhat goes to the concept that SurfCowboy is presenting above. The fact is that with stripers the creel limits are already low, so a new approach will require more creative thought.

Posted on: 2/23 12:54

From Harrisburg
Dear Mike,

Coming up with rules are easy, applying them is a whole different story. There are communities with a voice along the shore that think that bringing in stripers is a birthright. Any rule changes will be fought tooth and nail by guides and charter captains.

One fish 20-28 inches is the daily limit. 15 fish per season per angler, regardless of whether they are caught on a charter or fishing from the rocks somewhere.

If that is ever universally approved I'll probably die. It would require self-policing which we both know happens only on occasion.

Fixing things will take a tremendous amount of effort. Ain't you glad you're retired now?

Take care dude and enjoy your retirement. And please always continue to speak up about the things you spent your career doing. I appreciate the perspective you bring.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2/23 18:30
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

For those interested in this issue, keep an eye on the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission web site for the dates of upcoming meetings. The new striped bass stock assessment should be discussed at the next meeting, which is usually in May. You may be able to listen to the meeting and if not at least view the transcript.

Posted on: 2/23 21:46

From SE Pa
When only the commercial striped bass boats are reporting numbers the data can be easily skewed. Again, let's not fail to recognize the undocumented Wild West style trawler netting taking place. This is an industry that kills far more striped bass then any other sector. Unfortunately there are no reliable ways to document this but once again common sense has to be applied. I can't possibly be the only one to see these trawlers out working, can I. I can't possibly be the only one who recognizes that they are catching everything that swims. Unfortunately they do not document their destruction.

Again, until the problem can be accurately identified, regulation will have little to no effect.

http://oneanglersvoyage.blogspot.com/ ... striped-bass-bycatch.html

https://www.surfcastersjournal.com/com ... bass-off-the-outer-banks/

Posted on: 2/23 23:01

From Flourtown, PA
The trawlers don't help the cause, for certain. That said, the math is such that, once you consider the sheer volume of fishermen exclusively targeting trophy stripers (all the recs are looking to catch the biggest fish they can, just like the rest of us-I don't drive to the shore to fish unless I hear of fish larger than 32" being caught), there would have to be many times more trawlers and commercial fishermen to account for the disparity in numbers. Social media has really hurt, as well. Now the payoff for a six-pack charter being able to post trophy fish photos every day during the season is a full book of chartered trips every year. What's worse are just cell phone fishermen in general (the striper clubs), where when one guy finds some fish, he calls his entire club so that they can come out and drive up a bunch of scores for their weekly tournaments. These are the "sharpies" who live near the shore and can fish every day or night. They know what they are doing out there in a big way. Show up an hour late for one of those rushes, and all you'll see are drag marks from the tails as wide as your foot is long coming up from the shore and 200 cigarette butts all over the parking area. Nobody believes the stocks are going to crash again, and nobody is willing to take any responsibility whatsoever, so it's definitely going to occur again unless draconian action is taken. This whole "regulation won't work unless we know exactly what the problem is" sounds quite a bit like the climate change controversy over the last 40 years, where, had some reasonable regulations been enacted, even on the basis of what was yet not exact understanding, we probably wouldn't have seen the changes in climate that have moved much of the striper stocks to Maine and Canada. By the time we feel comfortable enacting the regulations, the regulation is a moratorium, because now, it doesn't matter what the exact problem was-there is only one answer remaining. Probably one of the worst examples of human nature-literally having to put our hand in the fire rather than admitting that the heat above it is directly resulting from the flame.

Posted on: 2/24 11:15

From SE Pa
that video is one trawler out of many. That's one trawler that does that twice a day every day. Every trawler netting fish also nets the game fish that eat the fish being netted. The fish they are not allowed to keep is tossed over dead. Why the heck are the trawlers trying to up the number of bycatch they can keep per trip if they are not catching as many as they want to keep. Feeding estimates of captured and caged fish (so called C&R fish) into a computer model is not going to save striped bass any more then regulation based on incomplete data would have any impact on climate change.

As for the stripers, close the fishery then. Close it to commercial, close it to recreational angler and close it to sportfishermen. Close it 100% and let's stop the farce of blaming the googans, the locals, the six pack charters, the surf fishermen and whoever else isn't as sporting as the next. Seems the recreational anglers who blame other recreational anglers really only care about preserving their form of recreational angling over others and not the actual striped bass. Close it down for all.

Posted on: 2/24 21:28

From Delaware Co.
NC has just closed all fishing for stripers commercial and recreational

https://www.witn.com/content/news/NC-D ... C1YXE2cA3-y_TduogyqRUwPMU

Posted on: 3/18 17:37

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com