Speedwell Forge Lake salvage

M

Mike

Three 2-man crews and one 3-man crew in combination pulled approx. 2.7 tons of fish from trap nets and loaded them onto hatchery trucks on Thur and Fri. Biomass was measured by displacement on the trucks (tanks are calibrated). Filled 2 standard size hatchery trucks each day. Those loads were primarily comprised of black crappies, although there were a number of gizzard shad, bluegill, and white suckers. Beyond that there were a few largemouth bass, some large channel cats, and some carp, green sunfish, pumpkinseeds, white crappie, golden shiners, brown bullheads, yellow bullheads, and white catfish. Prior to that, 2.5 days of electrofishing yielded a little over 500 largemouth bass, about 50% of which were 15 inches and longer, with the largest being 20". These were plump, healthy bass!!! (see sample on PFBC web page...regional fishing reports, SE region, Lancaster Co). Including the bass, about 3 tons of fish were moved. The electrofished bass were placed downstream in Hammer Creek and in Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area. The truck loads of trap netted fish went to the Susquehanna in various locations.....Falmouth, Highspire, Lake Clark (Long Level), and the Wyoming Valley. Netting will resume this coming week with nets being pulled on Tuesday and Wednesday. Work later in the week depends on water levels or fish abundance. As an indication of fish abundance, net catches did not decline from one day to the next, but largemouth bass catches via electrofishing declined by the third effort.

PS Once again the inefficiency of a fishing rod, as I often mention regarding trout angling, was demonstrated with respect to bass fishing this time. Anglers had a nick-name for Speedwell...."Deadwell lake." In large part it was because many (most) caught very little and many (most) bass anglers were frustrated by the lake's bass, assuming the population was small. As with trout electrofishing in streams that anglers often complain about or say are overharvested, the bass electrofishing revealed an exceptionally robust population of legal size fish (15 inches and over) for an approx 100 acre lake. Frankly, I could not have asked for more. Clearly, it was another case of anglers needing to refine their techniques rather than blaming low or no catches on a lack of fish.

As for the carp, few have been captured yet despite their abundance in the lake. They are certainly getting concentrated as the lake comes down, so carp action may still be a possibility. Some seemed to be congregating at the point where the stream's flow meets the lake's margin, which keeps changing as the lake loses water at a rate of 1 ft. per day without rain (or snow melt).

Well... Electrofishing is just a wee bit more effective than a fishing pole ;-) Those numbers are surprising because I've never heard of people having much luck at Speedwell, myself included. Could this be due in part to the lack of structure in the lake? Sure, those fish are in there. They're seem akin to catching saltwater fish - constantly on the move.

It is good to hear the lake was supporting healthy fish and hopefully someday when it comes back, that biomass will return. Kudos to you and your crew for your efforts in securing as many fish as possible from the lake and giving them a new home!

My friend Thom and I had a few trips to Speedwell last year around late spawn and caught a metric shitton of largemouth. Slow rolled 3/4 oz spinnerbait (ya that freaking big in that shallow of a lake) and 8" texas rigged worms tore them up for a few weekends. Though I liked the looks and structure of the upper end of the lake, we caught the majority of our fish in the lower end of the lake.

Electrofishing ended last week and trap netting continued from mid-week last week through this week. Trap netting was finished today, and I expect that the lake will be completely drained by the middle of next week, as about 10 acres of shallow water remained today, give or take. All told, about 7 tons of fish were salvaged and moved to other waters. A quick mental calculation suggests that this amounted to very roughly 74,000 fish. The Susquehanna received the vast majority of the fish, with Fort Hunter (Harrisburg) being added to the sites mentioned above.

Mike,

I would like to say that I appreciate the efforts of you and your crew to relocate all those fish. Thanks!

Thank you.

Now the question remains, will the general public appreciate our efforts or discount them when the number of fish remaining is revealed by the last part of the drawdown? We can't catch them all (fish, in general) and gizzard shad, in particular, do not respond well to handling when they are caught.

Again, your comment is appreciated.

Dear Mike,

I really hope that you don't catch flack like the crew in the Pittsburgh area did when they drew down that lake a couple of months ago?

I hope folks realize that you guys did all that you could to rescue as many fish as possible. I'm just guessing, but I think that most people from Lancaster and Lebanon County will have a little more sympathy for the effort expended and realize that fish were going to die because of the drawdown and that they can be replaced.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

For anyone who is on Facebook, there is an organization formed to help save the lake. Their address is: https://www.facebook.com/savespeedwell Pics are showing up of the lake drained, etc.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo Habitat there.

Agreed. The pictures certainly verify that!

Yes - other than the man made structures didn't look like there was so much as a rock or dead tree on the lake bottom.

And yet when I was a kid I managed to get snagged CONSTANTLY!

Now would be a good time to install, lots of structure. Big structure.

Back