Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:  ryguyfi    2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Speedwell Forge Lake: refilled last yr, fairly good bass fishing already

From lancaster county
We are very certain that is where they came from. I'm not sure on the laws of catching and releasing them back in Speedwell Forge.

I saw you follow it and appreciate your offer of hands and will certainly keep you posted on the goings on.
I appreciate it!

Posted on: 7/21 20:35

From birdsboro,pa
From seeing the early posts on this thread I took a trip out to the lake last week.
I could see why fish would try to leave the pea soup of that water for the clean fresh water in a running stream.
Does that water look better earlier in the season?
Also, although I do not carry a thermometer, that water was much cooler than the lakes I normally fish.....so the algae bloom in there really seemed weird to me.
Anyway, I did manage to catch one nice bass on top where a tree was down in the water, but hardly any other hits in 3 hours both on top and sub surface.
I guess I will have to check out that creek sometime.

Posted on: 8/11 7:25

The water was clear in late June, but with all of the rain that has occurred, plenty of nutrients along with those from decomposing terrestrial vegetation have entered the lake and water column. Thus, a phytoplankton bloom has occurred. Under those conditions don't fish deeper than about 10-12 ft except when a large storm or two replaces most of the water in the lake.

Posted on: 8/12 13:16

From Pennsylvania
On the issue of Hammer Creek and sals watershed club.

sal- and anyone REALLY interested in this watershed-----Imagine a stream lthat is maybe the size of Cross Fork Creek but much shorter and with a lot of posted sections. This stream is located in a very populated part of the state. It has some wild Brook trout and Brown trout but not a huge amount. It is fairly overgrown and much of it is difficult to fish. Now picture doing a bunch of so called "stream improvement" work on this creek. Realistically can you imagine all the attention you will bring?....Imagine all that "love". Maybe you will groom the paths and make it more "user friendly" while you are doing your so called improvements. Bring more people and turn it into YOUR contrived vision of what a trout stream should look like

Will the increased traffic from all the fishermen you attract be offset by these stream improvements you propose? I highly doubt it. Which is why I oppose your club.

Tired of all these so called conservation groups and do gooders ramming their vision of nature and how it should look and be utilized down the rest of our collective throats.

Posted on: Yesterday 17:13

From lancaster county
I appreciate your insight. Thank you.

I haven't proposed any stream improvement projects, that's another group.

Iam in the process of getting it reclassified to EV, I'm also in contact with three of the Lebanon farms interested in installing Stream bank fencing now, this will help with the sediment load that is filling in the creek.

We have removed 76 tires, 300lbs of shingles, the front end of a truck, 2 recliners, a coutch, 2 chairs and about 15 garbage bags of general trash.

Since we aren't doing anything that you just ranted about, you should come join instead of golfing.

We have been accomplishing some very good things. Your worries are academic at best and your description of the Creek is lacking, especially if you think it's hard to fish. Again come out and learn a few things and meet some good people.

Posted on: Yesterday 17:28

Edited by salvelinusfontinalis on 2017/8/22 17:47:40

From Pennsylvania
Oh well who am I to oppose the do gooders!
Sounds like you are eager and a ringleader to me. "We will build off this project"
From your groups meeting ---

"• A large scale multi agency project is coming to Hammer Creek at Pumping Station Rd. The US Fish&Wildlife Service, Donegal TU, PGC, PFBC, Boy Scouts of America, DEP and the Lancaster County Conservation District are all involved. This project is slated for 2018-19. It includes a dam removal on Walnut Run along with the removal of the Culvert. It also includes the removal of the dam remanence on Hammer and adding fish habitat and stream restoration to Hammer in that area. At this point he details of the project are unknown to the extent, but we will attempt to assist through volunteer hours. At a later date we will build off of this project."

What;s next? Signs, marked trails, more parking, security cameras.... And you think I am kidding? Sad.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:48

From lancaster county

At this point you have to be joking because your list is comical.
All I can say is come out and let your voice be heard or sit back and reap the benefits like everyone else. Needless to say I got more important things to do than humor this conversation.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:24

From Brickerville
Sal -> thanks for your efforts. I wish I had the capacity to lend a hand but two young kids and work limits my time. I know excuses but please know what you are doing is appreciated. Also I am very glad to see the tires removed.

Posted on: Today 11:01

From Northern VA
That old dam area is a massive restoration opportunity. I don't have that much experience on that stream but from what I saw, the potential is far greater than the risk of too much pressure. If you want to criticize people for doing stream habitat work because it is forcing the stream to be like "their version of nature" you ought to be critizing the dam that was put there in the first place and wrecked that portion of the stream. That's why it's called a "restoration", because there is a need to fix something that people already screwed up.

If you have the means to improve a fairly large native brookie stream in SE PA, idk why you wouldn't. FWIW I think you should electrofish the browns out of there too especially in light of the whole LMB invasion fiasco.

Posted on: Today 11:03

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

sarce wrote:
That old dam area is a massive restoration opportunity. I don't have that much experience on that stream but from what I saw, the potential is far greater than the risk of too much pressure. If you want to criticize people for doing stream habitat work because it is forcing the stream to be like "their version of nature" you ought to be critizing the dam that was put there in the first place and wrecked that portion of the stream. That's why it's called a "restoration", because there is a need to fix something that people already screwed up.

If you have the means to improve a fairly large native brookie stream in SE PA, idk why you wouldn't. FWIW I think you should electrofish the browns out of there too especially in light of the whole LMB invasion fiasco.

Agreed Sarce. And I'm not sure what FT's and our vision of a trout stream is or how they differ, but I'm pretty sure none of us envision a silty structureless mess with an invasion of largemouth bass, a crap-ton of litter, piles of tires, shingles, buckets of human waste, piss bottles, etc. decorating the stream banks.

Posted on: Today 12:35

From Ephrata, PA
PS-on an upside, as far as I know, Sal and I were the only "fly fishermen" involved w/ Saturday's cleanup. Several of the volunteers were from a mountain biking club which is great! This effort expands well beyond fishermen.

Posted on: Today 12:38

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com